Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: iPhone app
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:27 am 

Randy K. wrote:
No android unfortunately. This will be for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.

That might be a bit like developing only for the Sinclair Spectrum and not the Commodore 64 :wink:

Android overtakes iPhone in US

'Smartphones featuring Google's Android operating system accounted for 28% of US smartphone sales in the first quarter ... Apple's iPhone dropped to third place as its share of the smartphone operating system market remained flat quarter-over-quarter at 21%'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The same argument could apply for developing for the mac vs. windows, yet here we are as a mac only developer :wink:

It also lends itself to the same set of problems. Developing for android would be a bit more difficult because of the amount of phones and vendors, along with the number of versions of Android with each company's and carrier's custom skin and code layered over top.

With the iphone, we have very few models and Os versions to troubleshoot, making it much easier. Its also very similar to develop for in comparison to Mac Os X applications. These are the reasons why we are going to stick with the iPhone for now. We aren't ruling anything out indefinitely, but we need to stay focused for the time being.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:53 am 

Thanks for the explanation Randy - I completely understand, just trying it on on behalf of Android users :)

Oh well, CheckBook is just right for my Mac needs, but I don't think I'll ever want an iPhone, so I'll just keep shoving my receipts in my pockets until I get home :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:45 pm 

The key word here is sales, as oppose to actual phones in use. IPhone also went through it's initial sales boom as well when it was new. Android sales will level off, then we will see where its actual ranking is.

Last edited by TexasStargazer on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:30 pm 

redmelons wrote:
Thanks for the explanation Randy - I completely understand, just trying it on on behalf of Android users :)

Oh well, CheckBook is just right for my Mac needs, but I don't think I'll ever want an iPhone, so I'll just keep shoving my receipts in my pockets until I get home :lol:

Now I know you guys I tired of hearing this but any idea when the iPhone app will be ready to submit? Unlike the previous poster I'm tired of shoving my receipts into my pockets. :P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We are going to be pushing things right to the end of this year. We have some considerable work to do with CheckBook and CheckBook Pro in regards to data format and syncing. I wish we could be more forthright with our work so far, but names and images are things that cannot be locked in beforehand with Apple and the app store, so these details need to remain here until the app is submitted to the app store.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:12 pm 

Randy K. wrote:
We are going to be pushing things right to the end of this year. We have some considerable work to do with CheckBook and CheckBook Pro in regards to data format and syncing. I wish we could be more forthright with our work so far, but names and images are things that cannot be locked in beforehand with Apple and the app store, so these details need to remain here until the app is submitted to the app store.

Now it's the beginning of the next year...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:54 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

It is indeed next year, and the Mac App store set us back a bit as we had to prepare our existing apps to submit to Apple. We have CheckBook Pro 2.2 here and testing, which includes the all of the new Account file structure geared for syncing with our mobile version of CheckBook. This means a new account file format along with a new location to adhere to Apple's new rules for storing things in the Application Support folder. This was the kind of overhaul that is a ton of work, and if you do it right no one should notice. The following is the mobile application icons, which we showed a version along with the name in our quarterly newsletter at the beginning of the year:

Image Image Image

This is the iPhone 4, iPad, and iPhone 3 versions. We will continue hammering on CheckBook Pro 2.2 while we finish the mobile version to ensure the new Account structure is working the way it should. Stability of data is our number one concern when it comes to our applications. I'd like to post some screenshots of what we have, but what we have now and what Apple lets through for approval might be two different things. As we get closer we will have a little clearer view and perhaps I can post a few then.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:34 am 

Great news and great icons!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:08 am 

OK Randy. Now that you've teased us with the icons, we'll be chomping at the bit even more…

What exciting news!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:43 pm 

Here we are, still. Waiting patiently. While you are at Macworld, handing out a t-shirt. Go back to work, I say.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:31 am 

magnanamus wrote:
Here we are, still. Waiting patiently. While you are at Macworld, handing out a t-shirt. Go back to work, I say.

Hey all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. I'm glad they went to Macworld ... :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:30 pm 

Any further information on the new app?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:10 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Some maintenance work had to be done on Audiobook Builder along with some language translations, which should be released shortly as 1.2.6. This took up some of our time since Macworld. We are also tracking down some scheduling bugs in the new CheckBook 2.2 as we are testing it. These bugs and their squashing in CheckBook 2.2 is part of our Mobile development. a lot of the code dealing with account data in the database is shared between the two. Work commences :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:36 am 

Any new status?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next