Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:47 am 

This is the reason why so many of the files I am converting keep failing and I have no idea how to fix it. This is the error message I get after it has finished:

Processing /Users/luke/Desktop/Films/WAM-CD1.avi
ViddyUp! could not write a temporary video segment
Source: /Users/luke/Desktop/Films/WAM-CD1.avi
Destination: /Users/luke/Movies/.ViddyUp!-Temp-01B633208-1071-AFAA196A-770C-43D5-994E-464282DF0563/.worksegment 71.mp4
MONKQTMovieError: -43

This happens to loads of my movies, especially the 1st part if they have been split. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:35 pm 

I'm getting the same problem. About 3 quarters of files are failing with this error. It might be a Leopard problem, I never had this error with Tiger.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:28 pm 

I'm having the exact same problem. I have yet to successfully convert a video.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:07 pm 

The same too...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:04 am 

I just bought ViddyUp! and I'm having the same problem. I can't tell if it happens only when processing batches or not. It almost seems to be random. I can often quit ViddyUp!, restart, and perform the same conversion again and it's successful.

Some of the conversions take 4 hours or more. Getting up in the morning to find 12 hours of processing lost is annoying to say to least.

Here's an example:

10/19/08 7:02:16 PM ViddyUp![25864] ViddyUp! could not write a temporary video track file
10/19/08 7:02:16 PM ViddyUp![25864] Source: /Volumes/Dinah/TV Shows/Witchblade/Witchblade 02.mkv
10/19/08 7:02:16 PM ViddyUp![25864] Destination: /Users/james/Library/Application Support/ViddyUp!/Temp/.ViddyUp!-Temp-016CB8E4C79-25864-DA04FD66-ECC7-4468-90CF-B997CEBEAF25/.workvideo.mov
10/19/08 7:02:16 PM ViddyUp![25864] QuickTime Error: -43

I've tried setting the destination folder to different settings (iTunes/Library/specific folder) and turning the iTunes import feature one and off. No change in behavior. I've also run it on two different machines (PPC and Dual Intel, both running 10.5). Sometimes is works and sometimes it doesn't.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:25 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Just want to chime in that we are trying to determine what causes this issue but it is nebulous to say the least. A -43 means "file not found" and it's generated when we try to open a particular conversion process's output, just sorta double-checking to be sure the file is at least recognized as valid by QuickTime. We never really thought we'd see a situation where the output file just wasn't there to begin with. So, we ask Quicktime to convert a given file, it goes through all the motions of converting, stores its output in its own invisible temporary file, but then somehow it either decides it cannot create a file for the final playable version of its output (and for some reason doesn't return an error to indicate this) or the creation of that final playable file simply fails for reasons outside of QuickTime's control (and for some reason doesn't return an error to indicate this). We don't find out the file isn't there, that is, we don't know there's an error -43, until we try to open the output file we believe should be there.

Most of the time if an issue occurs after we hand off the conversion process to QuickTime there's not much we can do except double-check the code that sets up the conversion and make sure the output environment, ie. file system, is suitable to receive QuickTime's output. What to do in this case?

Well, we start with duplicating the issue. We have, and it does appear at random. Our test consists of 129 copies of the same AVI with XVID video file, all processed using the same settings - the iPod, H.264 preset at Better quality. With Perian installed and handling decoding the -43 error pops up frequently, beginning somewhere in the middle of the pack of 129 source files. With the official DivX decoder installed and handling decoding we performed three back to back passes with the 129 source files and didn't see a single -43 error. That's not enough testing to say Perian's at fault but it's worth asking a couple of questions at this point:

1. Do folks that get the -43 error have Perian installed? You can double-check by looking at the contents of /Library/QuickTime/.

2. Which file container types and/or video formats are involved in the -43 errors? We know it occurs with AVI with XVID as well as MKV (unknown video format at this point). Are there any others?

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:31 pm 

keithg,

This problem happens to me all the time. I have Perian installed and try to batch convert AVI to mp4 or h264. I often don't need to restart ViddyUp!, just try the conversion again in order to make it work. Since it might happen to 4 out of 5 queued videos, it's really annoying though.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:14 am 

I'm curious if there's been any leads on this problem. It's been plaguing me for a while now, and it's gotten to the point that there are certain files that refuse to process regardless of the normal attempts to shut down, restart, etc that often worked. It's quite frustrating as the program is otherwise ideal.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:12 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We have yet to be able to reproduce this issue, and no other reports have come in. Can you reliably get this issue to occur, debom? If you can with a set of procedures and source files, let us know as we would really like to get a hold of reproducible set of circumstances so we can see the error happen. Thanks for any extra help you can provide!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:59 pm 

You bet. I have a few files that it happens with every time (thus far). What stuff/info do you need?

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:17 am 

By way of update, almost none of my files will convert now. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:41 pm 

So the various fixes never really took. One or two .mkv files converted, but it was by far the minority.

Well, now I have a brand spankin new Macbook Pro and STILL, I get the error 43. This install was done clean, not as a restore of the previous system.

Dunno that this helps at all, but...well, I thought I'd put it out there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:58 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Did you use the migration assistant and bring over all your old settings and documents? This may have brought over the same conflicts that you had on the other machine. Had you tried processing these files under a different user account on the same machine to see if it was some specific user related conflict?

Let us know if you are able to test any of these out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:12 pm 

Nope. That was what I meant by a clean install. Sorry, I should have been more explicit with that. Nothing was brought over using Migration Assistant or any restore from the previous hard drive. The data that was copied over consisted only of documents, photos, and my music library. And that was all done "manually" (not via any restoration software).

I'll try and see if I can convert using a Guest account on this new machine.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

If you have a file or files that fail consistently for you, we would love to get a hold of one of them so we can duplicate it here. Either a direct link to a file you are using somewhere on the web or we can try to arrange another way of getting the file to us.

What QuickTime component are you using to decode your mkv files? If you are using perian, do you have the latest version?