Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:49 pm 

I just converted an XVID movie using Podner and just come to realize that there is no sound in the converted movie. The video of the converted movie works fine though.

And yes, the XVID and other codecs are all properly installed for Quicktime 7 Pro and I've converted tons of other XVID movies and they all worked fine. The original preconverted copy of this "non-working" video plays fine in Quicktime 7 Pro as well as in VLC.

Here's the converted movie info shown in QT7 Pro,

Format: H.264, 320 X 176, Millions, AAC, Stereo (L R), 44.100 kHz
FPS: 23.98

And here's audio stuff from the movie properties in QT7 Pro,

Name: Soundtrack
Start time: 0:00:00.00
Duration: 2:03:58.23
Format: AAC

And here's the info from VLC,

Stream 0
Codec: avc1
Language: English
Resolution: 320x176
Frame Rate: 24.000000

Stream 1
Codec: mp4a
Language: English
Type: Audio
Channels: 2
Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 1411 kb/s

I used Podner 1.3 to convert the video.

HELP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for providing all the details up front.

We ran into a similar issue earlier today and came to learn that Podner would get around 75% of the way through exporting the audio track before receiving an error from QuickTime. Exporting audio alone from QuickTime Player resulted in the same behavior. We resorted to DivX Doctor II and its output worked correctly.

Do you actually have QuickTime Pro? A quicker test than trying to get a copy of the file here or sending a debug build of Podner to re-process the file with there would be to try to export audio only with QuickTime Player and see what happens. If you do not receive an error and you wind up with an audio file of the correct length, or if you do not have QuickTime Pro, then we will need to try one of the other ideas so we can pinpoint why Podner would produce the file without audio.

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:22 am 

Quote:
Do you actually have QuickTime Pro?

I do have Quicktime 7 Pro and have all the codecs are properly installed. That's how I played the original pre-converted movie with no problems. It's Podner that caused the problem to the output file.

I will export the audio channel using QT7 Pro and add it back into the .m4v file and then re-export them back together using QT7 Pro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:11 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Playing the audio in QuickTime Player and exporting it completely from QuickTime Player can be exclusive. The file we tested yesterday morning played its entire audio track correctly in QuickTime Player - but when exporting the audio QuickTime Player encountered an error at around 75% and failed.

Podner uses the same basic methods as QuickTime Player to export both video and audio and should have similar success given the same components and files. If you're able to export the audio from your file with QuickTime Player then we know for sure there is an issue within Podner that we need to resolve. If not, then the issue is the result of some misinteraction of the file with the decoding component. Could you let us know whether QuickTime Player successfully exports the audio from the file?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:16 pm 

^ just tried the exporting the audio-only using QT7 Pro.... the output file came out with no sound as well.

FYI - my XVID component for my QT7 Pro is "XviD_Codec v0.5.1.component"

Post subject: Mee too
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:11 pm 

I purchased and have used Podner for some time (I am currently using version 1.3).

I have had no problems with AVI file conversion up until now, but recently when I try to convert this file type, the resulting files have no sound. I have tried re-installing all of the relevant software (QuickTime Pro, Podner 1.3, DivX codec 6.1), but to no avail --- the files always end up soundless.

I tried to convert the AVI file using QuickTime Pro only, and this also failed. The error message simply read:

"Failed. (-50)"

Podner, to its credit, at least produces a viewable (though soundless) file, but Quicktime chokes on the same file.

So am I correct to assume that something at the system level (Quicktime?) is amiss and causing this problem? Any help you might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated!

--- Rubidiuum[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:57 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The issue should be limited to specific files rather than all AVI files. Our experience indicates it's isolated to some misbehavior or incompatibility between the file(s) and QuickTime's compression/export pipeline. In some cases, DivX Doctor II may correct the issue. In other cases, such as when an AVI file contains AC-3 audio, there may be no reasonable way to convert the audio and video together in a single process. Honestly, AC-3 is a question mark we haven't found an elegant answer for, yet. If anyone knows of a way to work with AC-3 audio directly from QuickTime Player we'd really like to know.

Post subject: No Audio
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:16 am 

No having same problem with MPEG4, no audio same as with H264. Any ideas?? These are on AVI converts only MPEG 1/2 works fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:48 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Our tests and the experience of other users inidicates the issue isn't related to the Encoding selected in Podner, or even Podner itself. The issue is centered on specific files, not all AVI's, and can be duplicated with the same files if the user tries to export them from QuickTime Player. If a file's audio plays correctly in QuickTime Player but Podner fails to include audio in its final output, we suggest users install the latest 3ivx QuickTime component, available at http://www.3ivx.com/download/macos.html , process the original file with DivX Doctor II, available at http://www.3ivx.com/coral/DivXDoctorII2.2.dmg , then process DivX Doctor II's output with Podner. If the audio does not play correctly from QuickTime Player then Podner will not be able to work with the audio, either. In that case, the audio is most likely encoded in AC-3, for which we are still searching for a reasonably elegant solution.

Post subject: No Audio From AVI files
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:43 pm 

After much success, I am now getting MPEG4 files with no audio on any AVI that I try to convert. Anyone have any ideas. I removed flip4mac and rebooted. Only other new software is Ilife 06.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

After Greg's first post we went over our test results and realized we had not performed the same tests on the same files on QuickTime 7.0.3. We reverted to QuickTime 7.0.1, reinstalled QuickTime 7.0.3 and confirmed the same files that QuickTime 7.0.4 cannot produce audio from work correctly under QuickTime 7.0.3. It appears the issue is related to some subtle difference in the interaction between the DivX and/or 3ivx QuickTime components and QuickTime 7.0.4 vs. the previously dependable combination of the same components and QuickTime 7.0.3. For now, the only reliable answer for our users may be to retrace our steps by reverting to QuickTime 7.0.1 and reinstalling QuickTime 7.0.3. If QuickTime 7.0.3 is already installed and the audio issue is present, DivX Doctor II is our next suggestion.

QuickTime 7.0.1 ReInstaller: http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/nph-r ... taller.dmg

QuickTime 7.0.3 Installer: http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/nph-r ... allerX.dmg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We just released Podner 1.3.1 with a workaround for the DivX AVI audio glitch that cropped up between QuickTime 7.0.3 and QuickTime 7.0.4. Please give the new version a try and let us know if Podner does not work as expected. Some videos may still require a pass with DivX Doctor II, or an AC-3 component. If you find a video that will not work at all we would appreciate the opportunity to work with you to verify the issue can be resolved or at least minimized.

Speaking of AC-3, we've learned that the QuickTime AC-3 component, version 0.3, is working correctly for some users with QuickTime 7.0.4. This should provide a measure of compatibility for demuxed AC-3 audio. Preliminary tests with a couple of XVID files indicate the AC-3 component is indeed working correctly.

The QuickTime AC-3 component is available at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=83360