Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: iPhone support?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:03 pm 

Not much to say, I suppose... I PM'd the Splasm admin asking for more information but he never responded so I backed off. I guess an app will appear when they're good and ready. It would be nice if they gave us a little info re: when we can expect the app.

Same story. Oh well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We are currently working on the mobile version of CheckBook, but we really are not sure how long it will take. The simple fact of getting an elegant solution to syncing data to the desktop version is going to be a tough one, along with any other unforeseen problems that may crop up. As easy as Apple wants to make it sound, it still is a brand new developing platform, and is completely new to us so starting from scratch is always slow.

If you need an app that you can take on the go now, I would peruse through the app store and find one that will work for you today. Ours will come out in the future, but only when we have had enough time to make it work the way it should, and have it integrate with our existing CheckBook applications.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:13 pm 

Great Randy!

I jumped to SplashMoney (just because of the long awaited syncability), but their app is not even close to finished. I know you guys want to deliver something that works.

But please, please hurry. There's money to be made, and this is exactly what money-app-users are waiting for!!!

And please, please, let me betatest...

/M

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:34 am 

I am very happy to hear that there will be an iPhone checkbook at some point. I too was really into the idea of syncing and got the free trial of Splashmoney, it was so bad! I didn't even finish setting things up before I gave up and decided that I would wait and see if you were going to make something.

I'll wait. When it's here, I'll pay.

Keep up the great work!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:21 pm 

Has there been any update with the development of the Splasm Checkbook app for the iPhone? While there are alternatives out there, I really would like to have mobile companion to the desktop app that I use so often.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:47 pm 

Who knows? They don't like to reply too often.

At any rate, Splasm didn't move quickly enough to secure the "Checkbook" name on the App Store. I noticed a program by the name of "Checkbook" a couple of days ago.

I was excited at the prospect of it being the real Checkbook, but alas, I was disappointed.

If it actually ever comes out, maybe they can call it "iCheckbook"??!

Umbra Bellator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:17 am 

I saw that Checkbook app on there the other day too, and I sure did get excited. Oh well. Here's hoping that we'll see a CheckBookPro app up there soon! Even if it's a free crappy place holder, I'll download it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:50 pm 

It is getting pretty awful at: 1. the time that Splasm is taking to release any form of their iPhone Checkbook product and 2. at their clear lack of response to what most developers would kill for: clear consumer interest.

It's been about 4.5 months since the iPhone App Store was opened. Since then, thousands of apple (mostly useless) have been released. I understand that Apple has a lot of limitations with what developers can build but with the recent ease of the NDA that developers have, you would think that Splasm would at least communicate something.

I have since switch to ClearCheckbook because, at the very least, they have a pretty functional web interface that is formatted for the iPhone. I really want to stick with Splasm because I love their Mac Checkbook app but this is getting a little out of hand. We have been patient.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:13 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Bmatiash,

You do make a good point.
Quote:
Since then, thousands of apps (mostly useless) have been released.
I'm pretty sure our customers don't want us to just add one more app to that list. We here at Splasm aren't in a mad rush to cash in on the iPhone popularity. We are working on a way to get CheckBook to work seamlessly with a mobile solution on the iPod and the iPhone. We will not release this type of product until we feel it meets our standards and the standards that our customers expect from our products. We have not made promises, included a guarantee or set a release date when we distribute CheckBook that a mobile version will be included. This offering is a separate entity, and requires significant development time.

Development time can be very unpredictable. Large features could take a few hours or a few days, and a small problem could eat up a week before you can figure out the issue. This is why for the most part release dates are very dangerous things to promise. I for one would expect as a customer to receive a polished product, and not be part of a large 'Beta' run because the developer felt pressured to release something that's 'almost there'. My financial data is too important to be toyed with like that. As I had mentioned before if you need an immediate mobile solution for your finances and cannot wait or get by without one, I would explore the App store and find something that will fit your needs that is available now.

We are currently working on mobile CheckBook, as well as updates and other projects. One such update receiving a lot of time lately is a CheckBook and CheckBook Pro update, to make them compatible with the universal access Voiceover feature.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:26 pm 

Randy K. wrote:
Bmatiash,

You do make a good point.
Quote:
Since then, thousands of apps (mostly useless) have been released.
I'm pretty sure our customers don't want us to just add one more app to that list. We here at Splasm aren't in a mad rush to cash in on the iPhone popularity. We are working on a way to get CheckBook to work seamlessly with a mobile solution on the iPod and the iPhone. We will not release this type of product until we feel it meets our standards and the standards that our customers expect from our products. We have not made promises, included a guarantee or set a release date when we distribute CheckBook that a mobile version will be included. This offering is a separate entity, and requires significant development time.

Development time can be very unpredictable. Large features could take a few hours or a few days, and a small problem could eat up a week before you can figure out the issue. This is why for the most part release dates are very dangerous things to promise. I for one would expect as a customer to receive a polished product, and not be part of a large 'Beta' run because the developer felt pressured to release something that's 'almost there'. My financial data is too important to be toyed with like that. As I had mentioned before if you need an immediate mobile solution for your finances and cannot wait or get by without one, I would explore the App store and find something that will fit your needs that is available now.

We are currently working on mobile CheckBook, as well as updates and other projects. One such update receiving a lot of time lately is a CheckBook and CheckBook Pro update, to make them compatible with the universal access Voiceover feature.

Randy,

Thank you for your candidness. You are right--at least as far as I am concerned--as a loyal CheckBook Pro user, I indeed do not want a quickly thrown together piece of junk. I want something that maintains the high level of quality that Splasm builds into their software.

So, I am willing to wait. I'll be the first to admit that I hope the wait isn't too long, but whether it is a week or six months, I'll wait for the quality that I know will be built into CheckBook for the iPhone.

You have my support.

Umbra Bellator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:07 am 

Thanks to the developers for making it clear that they are working on a solution for iPod/iPhone owners. I think they realize what kind of huge demand there is out there for this kind of desktop+mobile solution.

However, I do urge them to make this a priority. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who is frustrated with the fact that I want to keep track of my spending but have to remember or take notes on my purchases during the day so I can input them in the evening. It is far more convenient to be able to do this on the road. That being the case, there are numerous occasions where I have come very close to thinking about abandoning Checkbook Pro, which I'm quite fond of, in a hunt to find a mobile solution.

For simple budget management and spending, mobile use will inevitably be more frequently used than desktop use. While having an excellent desktop app like Checkbook Pro that can import bank data from our online banking websites etc. is important, the playing field for iPod/iPhone options is quickly filling up with some increasingly powerful alternatives that look ever more tempting.

I hope splasm doesn't lose out in this key moment. Clearly they should not put something out until they have resolved the problem of safe and solid synching with the desktop, but I was impressed at how fast Omnifocus was able to come out with an update to their iphone app which offered Bonjour synching with their desktop app. I would be happy to pay, as I did for Omnifocus, a decent price for the app, even as much as the desktop app (given that it is a key part of the experience on the road) to gain this mobile functionality.

Again, I just want to emphasize the fact that I believe splasm should make this a an absolute top priority because they stand to lose the market to whatever powerful iphone app out there that eventually synchs smoothly with one or several desktop apps. This will in turn bounce back and influence their desktop market share. I, for one, will be ready to jump ship even if functionality is marginally less in the desktop app, if the synching and ipod/iphone offering is there.

Respectfully,

Konrad
Jinan, China

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:51 am 

kmlawson wrote:
Thanks to the developers for making it clear that they are working on a solution for iPod/iPhone owners. I think they realize what kind of huge demand there is out there for this kind of desktop+mobile solution.

However, I do urge them to make this a priority. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who is frustrated with the fact that I want to keep track of my spending but have to remember or take notes on my purchases during the day so I can input them in the evening. It is far more convenient to be able to do this on the road. That being the case, there are numerous occasions where I have come very close to thinking about abandoning Checkbook Pro, which I'm quite fond of, in a hunt to find a mobile solution.

For simple budget management and spending, mobile use will inevitably be more frequently used than desktop use. While having an excellent desktop app like Checkbook Pro that can import bank data from our online banking websites etc. is important, the playing field for iPod/iPhone options is quickly filling up with some increasingly powerful alternatives that look ever more tempting.

I hope splasm doesn't lose out in this key moment. Clearly they should not put something out until they have resolved the problem of safe and solid synching with the desktop, but I was impressed at how fast Omnifocus was able to come out with an update to their iphone app which offered Bonjour synching with their desktop app. I would be happy to pay, as I did for Omnifocus, a decent price for the app, even as much as the desktop app (given that it is a key part of the experience on the road) to gain this mobile functionality.

Again, I just want to emphasize the fact that I believe splasm should make this a an absolute top priority because they stand to lose the market to whatever powerful iphone app out there that eventually synchs smoothly with one or several desktop apps. This will in turn bounce back and influence their desktop market share. I, for one, will be ready to jump ship even if functionality is marginally less in the desktop app, if the synching and ipod/iphone offering is there.

Respectfully,

Konrad
Jinan, China

I fully agree with Konrad on all points made above. Apple has relaxed their NDA restrictions and there are enough iPhone/iPod Touch applications out there that successfully sync with their desktop counterparts. The SDK has been out for some time now and has been updated regularly. And, as Konrad has already stated, there is a growing list of very capable checkbook products appearing on the App Store. By you telling your very patient customers to go buy other apps if we cannot wait is a very odd tactic to retain customer loyalty.

Instead of telling us that 'it will be done when it's done,' perhaps you should be a little more transparent as to why it is taking this long or where you are in the process of development. Or, at the very least, provide a list of features that you are planning on building into the product. Anything is better than the vacuous statements that you've been making since this thread was first started on June 5th, 2008. Customer patience is very fickle and can only last so long. If you are confident in your ability to string your customers along and retain them down the road, then I wish you the best of luck.

I'll wait to see what the response to my missive is before deciding to jump ship but if you're ok with losing customers, then so be it.

Regards,

Brian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:05 pm 

Hi all!

I'm one of the former happy Checkbook users, who now is a very frustrated SplashMoney user. Obviously, I would prefer a Checkbook iPhone app instaed of what I now (almost) have.
What I really wish for, is a competent, good looking and feature rich desktop app, in combination with a sleek simple iPhone app. The phone app only needs to do two things: Show balance and enter transactions. All the other features should be kept in the desktop app. If one really needs to do budgets, mortgage plans, reconcile etc on the road, then one should perhaps concider a MacBook.

I agree, by the way, with previous posters. You keep the cards to close to you. Throw us a bone, or you will lose loyal customers.

Magnus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:06 pm 

magnanamus wrote:
I'm one of the former happy Checkbook users, who now is a very frustrated SplashMoney user. Obviously, I would prefer a Checkbook iPhone app instaed of what I now (almost) have.
What I really wish for, is a competent, good looking and feature rich desktop app, in combination with a sleek simple iPhone app. The phone app only needs to do two things: Show balance and enter transactions. All the other features should be kept in the desktop app. If one really needs to do budgets, mortgage plans, reconcile etc on the road, then one should perhaps concider a MacBook.

I agree, by the way, with previous posters. You keep the cards to close to you. Throw us a bone, or you will lose loyal customers.

I know that many of you need iPhone support. Bear with me as I give you a different view of this topic.

I was a Quicken user for many years and when I started the application did everything I needed it to do. However, each year or so, a new version would come out and eventually the developers stopped supporting the version I was using. Then came Y2K and I could no longer use the app. because it would not accept dates in 2000+. Contacting Intuit brought no relief except they wanted me to pay for an upgrade to a version which had "bells & whistles" (my term not theirs) and was much more expensive and required mega amounts of memory that I could use for other apps.

Now I know that many of the features were added to Quicken over the years because of "power users" (not a derogatory term - just what was used at that time) demanding more and more features. Now there's nothing wrong with that but this thread seems to be adding a new dimension to the demands. Stop everything else and give us - an unknown quantity - what we want. I would hate for CB to grow in size to accommodate a part of the users needs at the expense of the rest of the users who might not need, want or care about using it with an iPhone.

Again, I have no quarrel with the developers working on such an app. I would hate to see them get sidetracked over this issue however.

Just MHO.

Using OS X 10.5.1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:16 am 

I have just got an iPhone and I would happily pay for a mobile version of Checkbook Pro. Checkbook was one of the first apps that I registered on my first "proper" Mac 3 - 4 (?) years ago. It is still one of the best apps I have for what it does and its dependability.

Let's be patient and give the programmers a break. If you want to jump ship then just do it. There is no need to tell us. I am happy to wait. If it never comes then I will do what I have always done, carry the receipts until the end of the day/week then enter them into Checkbook Pro. Nobody is going to die!

Andy