Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: iPhone support?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:34 am 

I am a CheckBook Pro user and am very happy with the program. Thank you for your efforts to create a personal finance solution for the Mac that is actually usable and not bloated with a bunch of unnecessary features.

My question (and suggestion): Do you plan to support the iPhone at all now that the SDK has been released? Basically, "CheckBook for iPhone"?

It would sure be nice to have a solution wherein the data in CB/CB Pro could be synced with a CheckBook for iPhone program, so that while away from the main computer (say while on a vacation), we could continue to input data, and then, when back at the main computer, we would sync back to CB on the desktop.

Has this been considered?

Thank you!

Umbra Bellator

Post subject: Re: iPhone support?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:02 am 

Hello? Splasm? Anyone? Anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We do have the SDK here and are exploring the possibilities. We are looking at how CheckBook can be used on the iPhone and iPod Touch. We of course can't set any timeframes for any future products for the iphone, because there is a lot to learn and to get familiar with.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:47 pm 

Understood.

I am glad to hear that it is being considered, however. iPhone and CheckBook integration would be so helpful, and what a perfect platform!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:53 pm 

Hi there, Splasm. I was wondering whether you had made any progress in building out and releasing an iPhone version of your Checkbook app that hopefully syncs with the desktop client. I am a registered user of Checkbook Pro and absolutely love it. However, now that I have an iPhone, I would really like to have a mobile client that I can update on-the-go and sync when I get home.

I would really prefer to stay with Splasm but I also don't relish having to wait much longer. Is there any update that you can provide?

Regards,

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:07 pm 

bmatiash wrote:
Hi there, Splasm. I was wondering whether you had made any progress in building out and releasing an iPhone version of your Checkbook app that hopefully syncs with the desktop client. I am a registered user of Checkbook Pro and absolutely love it. However, now that I have an iPhone, I would really like to have a mobile client that I can update on-the-go and sync when I get home.

I would really prefer to stay with Splasm but I also don't relish having to wait much longer. Is there any update that you can provide?

Regards,

Brian

Whole-heartedly seconded!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

We are currently working on a version of CheckBook for the iPhone and iPod Touch. There are couple issues that have to be sorted before the mobile version of CheckBook will be functioning the way we need it to be for it to be truly useful as a mobile companion of the desktop versions of CheckBook. Again, I'm sorry that I can't give any sort of timeframe on its release.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:19 am 

Randy K. wrote:
We are currently working on a version of CheckBook for the iPhone and iPod Touch. There are couple issues that have to be sorted before the mobile version of CheckBook will be functioning the way we need it to be for it to be truly useful as a mobile companion of the desktop versions of CheckBook. Again, I'm sorry that I can't give any sort of timeframe on its release.

Awesome! Can't wait.

Thank you for the update!

Umbra Bellator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:12 pm 

I appreciate the response and I can appreciate not being able to put a specific date on the release. But, are we talking about a week or two, or a few months out? As licensed users of Checkbook, shouldn't we get some sort of notice as to when we can expect a sync-able companion Checkbook client?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:37 pm 

I just wanted to add that as a registered Checkbook Pro user it would be nice to have this as a free download onto my iPhone. However, I would pay for this application and I think others would be willing to pay as well. This could turn out to be fairly profitable for you. The sooner the better!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:48 am 

I agree. As a former SplashMoney user, I've been VERY happy with Checkbook for a couple of years. Now I'm back to Splash again because of their syncable iPhone/desktop app. But, man does it suck!! Ugly stupid and unstable. It's really nothing more than a public beta. But it does sync, and that I love.
So the question is: Do you have ANY rough timeframe? Should I stay or should I go?

M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:09 am 

This is very much the question. Since SplashMoney is the only viable option that can sync to a desktop client currently available, I am tempted to just bite the bullet and move over to them.

However, I had seen the numerous negative comments on its software (and lack of bug fix updates) which really makes me hesitant.

With that being said, I see thousands of apps out there on the iTunes app store... 95% are total rubbish. Splasm's iPhone Checkbook app would fill that one last, and very important, gap making my iPhone truly a mobile aid for me.

I understand that Splasm isn't keen on giving specific dates for release however I have seen other developers go as far as to show screenshots of their upcoming products on their blogs or, at the very least, make some sort of statement to let their customers know that something is coming soon. Blanket statements telling us that you're working on some an iPhone app without any specifics doesn't really do anyone any good, especially those who are holding off on purchasing another competing product.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:37 pm 

I gotta tell ya, for people who speak so highly of "Checkbook," you'd think you'd be more loyal to the program.

I understand the desire for an iPhone version to come out yesterday. I want an iPhone version just as badly--heck, I started this thread.

BUT, I am willing to wait for Splasm to get the job done and to get it done correctly.

Give 'em some time, give 'em some space and give 'em some support.

Umbra Bellator

P.S. To the poster who suggested that Splasm should make an iPhone version of Checkbook available for free on the iTunes App Store: Give me a break. It is a SEPARATE program. Splasm is VERY good at making great software which costs next to nothing to purchase. I will happily PAY for Checkbook for iPhone, and so should you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:36 am 

Dear umbrabellator!

This is not about being loyal. This is about being a consumer, and keeping track of my money.

1: I really love Checkbook, but experience tells me, that between the first announcement of a product-to-come, to actual release, is a looong time. Months, perhaps. That's why I asked for rough timeframe.

2: These apps are fairly inexpensive. I can afford both Splash and Splasm. And right now, Splash is the only product even close to what I want. But I will return, AND pay for it, when they ship.

3: About being loyal: I really, really hope that Splasm can deliver, because this is their real opportunity to make a killer app, and make good money. This is exactly what I and a lot of other users want. A sleek, simple and yet competent app with a beautiful interface. Transfer that to the iPhone with sync capabilities, and money will pour in.

PS: I totally agree with you on your PS. Everybody wants everything for free...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:29 pm 

It really is dead in here...