Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:07 pm 

Please exclude hidden accounts from the transfer transaction's drop-down menu of target accounts, unless "Show Hidden Accounts" has been selected.

It is a laborious matter to find active accounts among a list of hidden accounts, all listed in alphabetical order regardless of visibility status.

I retain all closed accounts as hidden, for historical reviews of transactions with clients and suppliers. Maybe there is another way to designate these as closed?

I'm really enjoying Checkbook Pro after the first culture shock of switching from the old Quicken app! Thanks for all your efforts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We're happy to look at making it where Hidden Accounts aren't listed when creating a new Transfer, in a future version. But, for closed Accounts, you might just choose to save a backup and then remove them altogether—you could always go to the backup and double-click it, anytime you may need to review something in one of the deleted Accounts.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:51 pm 

Allan W. wrote:
We're happy to look at making it where Hidden Accounts aren't listed when creating a new Transfer, in a future version. But, for closed Accounts, you might just choose to save a backup and then remove them altogether—you could always go to the backup and double-click it, anytime you may need to review something in one of the deleted Accounts.

Thanks for the work-around. A bit awkward as I'm often trying to find previous client payments compared to current standing, or looking for tool and supplies orders from years ago to remember where some hard-to-find widget might still be available. Since I posted my request I found the effect during debit and deposit transactions also: whenever 'to account' or 'from account' is selected all accounts, including hidden accounts, are presented.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding and thus misusing the concept of hidden accounts? Is there another way of dealing with closed accounts that one wants to retain for client (or other) historical accounting reasons?

Maybe another status attribute could be added to the accounts listing: "Closed". That would make it clear that no transactions to them are meaningful and thus excluded unless "show closed" is selected. Though I'm interested in purchase/payment history, others may be interested in disregarding accounts for tax reasons, but retaining for accounting reasons, etc.

Unless there is a logic to having them presented during transactions that I haven't considered, it does seem beneficial that 'Hidden Accounts' really should hide them during transactions as well as reports unless 'view hidden accounts' is selected.

Currently I've just preface my account names with "Z-closed' to get all "historical" closed accounts listed at the bottom of that list during transactions to/from active accounts. That will work while Splasm decides what "hidden accounts" should mean during transactions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:08 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for these additional details! Unfortunately, no, there's not another way of dealing with closed accounts that are still so actively being accessed. But, again, we'll see about making it where Hidden Accounts become even more hidden—not just hidden in the Accounts drawer.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:54 pm 

Allan W. wrote:
Thanks for these additional details! Unfortunately, no, there's not another way of dealing with closed accounts that are still so actively being accessed. But, again, we'll see about making it where Hidden Accounts become even more hidden—not just hidden in the Accounts drawer.

Thank you! For now, just getting historical bank accounts to the bottom of the list by re-naming them gives me a clear view of active accounts.