Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Year-end/New Year
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:36 pm 

Not sure if there is an option, but I used to use Quicken long ago, but now on a Mac I am using Checkbook Pro and love it. One thing I miss that Quicken had was a year end option where you could save all info to a year end file and then begin anew for the new year, starting with Jan 1 entries and just continue the balance over.

Any plans on something similar?

For me, I like to just work with a current year, if I need info from another year, go work with that.

For now I kind of fudge the beginning balance to make it work...

Also hoping that an Ipad/Iphone version is in works, because I would love the ability to just work with same fie on any of the 3 devices, regardless of where I may be.

Post subject: Re: Year-end/New Year
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:03 am 

Simple. Create a Smart Folder for each year.

As for an iOS version, don't hold your breath. They seem have abandoned this project.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 9.56.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 9.56.40 AM.png [ 34.7 KiB | Viewed 24261 times ]
Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 9.58.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 9.58.14 AM.png [ 25.92 KiB | Viewed 24261 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:55 am 

rfm3 wrote:
save all info to a year end file and then begin anew for the new year, starting with Jan 1 entries and just continue the balance over

It's as simple as creating a folder in the accounts list and dragging all entries for a year into that folder.

See Help; CheckBook Help; Manage your Entries; Move Entries to a Folder:

Use CheckBook Pro's Folders when you need to organize Entries, perhaps by calendar year, or move older Entries out of the way without completely removing them from your document.

1. Click the Entry button at the bottom of the document window.
2. If the Accounts drawer is not visible to the right or left of the document window, click the Accounts button at the top right of the document window.
3. Go to the Accounts drawer and click the name of the Account with the Entries you'd like to move to a Folder.
4. Go to the Accounts drawer and click the triangle to the left of the selected Account's icon to reveal its Folders and Smart Folders.
5. Select the Entries you want to move. A single click selects a single Entry, Shift-clicking an Entry selects a contiguous group of Entries and Command-clicking an Entry adds it to the current selection.
6. Drag your selection to the appropriate Folder. If you need a new Folder, learn how to create a Folder.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 am 

redmelons wrote:
rfm3 wrote:
save all info to a year end file and then begin anew for the new year, starting with Jan 1 entries and just continue the balance over

It's as simple as creating a folder in the accounts list and dragging all entries for a year into that folder.

See Help; CheckBook Help; Manage your Entries; Move Entries to a Folder:

Use CheckBook Pro's Folders when you need to organize Entries, perhaps by calendar year, or move older Entries out of the way without completely removing them from your document.

1. Click the Entry button at the bottom of the document window.
2. If the Accounts drawer is not visible to the right or left of the document window, click the Accounts button at the top right of the document window.
3. Go to the Accounts drawer and click the name of the Account with the Entries you'd like to move to a Folder.
4. Go to the Accounts drawer and click the triangle to the left of the selected Account's icon to reveal its Folders and Smart Folders.
5. Select the Entries you want to move. A single click selects a single Entry, Shift-clicking an Entry selects a contiguous group of Entries and Command-clicking an Entry adds it to the current selection.
6. Drag your selection to the appropriate Folder. If you need a new Folder, learn how to create a Folder.

The "Smart Folder" is a much easier way to do this, with nothing to select or drag. All entries falling within the smart folder rules simply appear in the smart folder.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:17 pm 

t3rockhall wrote:
The "Smart Folder" is a much easier way to do this, with nothing to select or drag. All entries falling within the smart folder rules simply appear in the smart folder.

I like to start a new year with only the current year's entries in the folder. So dragging all of 2017's entries into a folder called '2017' leaves me with an empty current folder for 2018. I think using smart folders would still leave all entries in the current folder?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:56 pm 

All the entries stay in the main account as represented by the icon on top. Each smart folder only displays items meeting the criteria. The smart folders don’t actually contain the entries , they only filter them for display and use.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:29 pm 

t3rockhall wrote:
All the entries stay in the main account

The original poster was looking for an 'option where you could save all info to a year end file and then begin anew for the new year, starting with Jan 1 entries and just continue the balance over ... I like to just work with a current year, if I need info from another year, go work with that'.

That's also the way I like to work and what the method described in the Help file achieves.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:16 am 

redmelons wrote:
t3rockhall wrote:
All the entries stay in the main account

The original poster was looking for an 'option where you could save all info to a year end file and then begin anew for the new year, starting with Jan 1 entries and just continue the balance over ... I like to just work with a current year, if I need info from another year, go work with that'.

That's also the way I like to work and what the method described in the Help file achieves.

That is exactly what my suggestion does. Click on a smart folder year and everything for that year appears. Consider that you might write checks in December that don't get cashed until January. The Smart folders take care of this. Try it. You'll like it.