Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:04 pm 

For the end of the year , I find that I have to generate a number of reports for taxes. The current graphic with bars and text is difficult to work with.
I'd really appreciate the ability to save the numbers generated by the Summary in a .csv or .txt format.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:04 am 

I believe you can save your summary at (first do your summary, then)... File > Export > save as... text or CSV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:17 am 

@t3rockhall:
Actually, that will save the entire transaction listing for the account[s], not any summary. I can see no way to save a summary as a text file or csv file.

My accountant just loves her yearly print-out of my summary of tax deductions that CBPro can provide.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:36 pm 

If you can do your summaries using the search box, the csv will show only what you selected.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:08 pm 

@t3rockhall:
Brilliant work-around. Why didn't I think of that?

Happy [almost] New Year!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:59 pm 

Thanks all. Tried what you suggested and got the entire dump. However it did get me to thinking a bit and tried using 'grep' through the Terminal on the entire account dump. In my case, all of the transactions that I wanted were categorized as "Medical" . So I ran

grep Medi Trans.txt > Med.csv

from the Terminal. This found every line that contained the pattern 'Medi' and ignored the rest. The greater than sign redirected the output from grep to an ASCII file I called 'Med.csv' which is then openable by any spreadsheet application. Removed extraneous columns and now I have the Dates, Payee, Amount for the entire year. May this help others as well. Al ( oh yeah, happy gnu year! )

PS: Ran this for all of my accounts and have to make a minor note. Since you get all years worth, you'll have to purge rows in the spreadsheet for prior years work. Because of how Splasm denotes "taxable" with a Yes / No , you can't grep for Yes as you'll get every cleared transaction. al

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:22 pm 

Glad it worked for you!

I did try the search method, limiting to this year with category: medical. Then exported the results to my desktop and opened it in Numbers. Worked brilliantly! Now, having done that, I must say that I will still email my accountant a pdf of my year-end summary reports for tax purposes, as it is just a lot quicker for me to do. Plus it has all those pretty red bars! And keeping things up to date through the year makes compiling all my stuff a breeze—just a few clicks here and there. I usually have my tax return submitted by early February.

Interesting how we can each come up with different ways to do things to suit our individual purposes. CBPro is so amazingly versatile that way.

Happy. Happy. To you all!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:53 am 

All I do is keep a contemporaneous spread sheet of all my med and drugs, and another of miles to and from doctors and drug stores, I just print these out and give them to the accountant. The fewer papers he gets, the happier he is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:27 pm 

t3rockhall wrote:
All I do is keep a contemporaneous spread sheet of all my med and drugs, and another of miles to and from doctors and drug stores, I just print these out and give them to the accountant. The fewer papers he gets, the happier he is.

Sure, that works... but it requires manually maintaining another file of data points already captured within the Checkbook/Pro database...

What we need is the ability to create summary reports across all accounts within the Checkbook/Pro database.