Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:48 am 

I upgraded to 2.5. Looks great. But now, every time I open CheckBook, finish, and close the app, there's this splash screen/menu thing hanging around. I looked through preferences for a way to shut off the splash screen/menu thing but did not find it. I would suggest turning this new popup off or giving me a way to choose to turn it off.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:58 am 

Yeah, I've noticed this myself.

PGRider

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

It sounds like you're describing the newly added Launch window, which makes it easy to move on to another Accounts file document upon closing the window. If you don't want to see it, just completely Quit the application each time you're done using it. For that, choose 'Quit CheckBook' from the CheckBook menu at the top of the screen or hit Command + Q on the keyboard simultaneously.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:28 pm 

Hmmm. Kinda seems a bit unnecessary to have it stay open if one can always open another file through the file menu. But that's just me. If I've got my account window open as the only window in a particular space, the Launch Window is always still located on space 1 and I have to navigate to that space. Just a bit onerous.

PGRider

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:35 pm 

BTW- Pages also has a splash screen which pops up after the last window is closed. I don't like that either. FWIW!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:52 am 

At the risk of sounding like a crank, having to affirmatively go to the menubar to "quit" means that the launcher is not a feature for users like myself who only use one accounts file. All I'm suggesting is that you put a checkbox on the launcher or in the preferences folder that lets you shut off the launcher; that way you can satisfy both your casual customers with single accounts files and your more hardcore customers who need to manage more accounts.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:39 pm 

Who goes to the menu bar? Learn command-Q and be done with it. That's right. After you make your final entry of the day, type command-Q and you won't see that pesky screen. Works for all Mac applications.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:58 am 

Command Q or menubar, it doesn't matter. There should be an option for users who will only ever use one accounts file to get the same functionality out of the "X" button that they had before 2.5. I'm not in a support forum looking for a work-around; I'm in a feedback/suggestion forum telling a business how to design the product better for the 99% who don't cmd+Q or quit in the menubar.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:09 am 

After using this new version every day since it came out, I must say that I do find the launch/splash screen's constant presence quite tedious and very unnecessary. I understand why it has been added and realize that some folks may find it helpful but having the option to keep it closed would be very nice! I keep CBPro open pretty much all the time when my computer is on and the splash screen is getting tiresome. :cry:

PGRider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:37 pm 

After not having had much of a serious response from staff last month, I bought Numbers from Apple. I spent about two hours on a weekend setting up all the tables I needed to copy Checkbook's functionality for my personal use. It also syncs between my Mac and iOS. I understand people with more complicated accounting needs might find some use out of the splash screen or may not be able to get what they need from a spreadsheet program. But for myself, personally, Splasm lost me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:41 pm 

Seems like a lot work just to avoid a launch screen. The launch screen doesn't come up for me anymore, as I always open another CBPRO file while the current file is active. Command-O and Command-Q work great, too, as per usual.

But if you're great with Numbers, more power to you. I use that for spreadsheets of various kinds, but find that the iPad version doesn't always keep the formatting I want. To each his/her own!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:56 am 

prider wrote:
I do find the launch/splash screen's constant presence quite tedious and very unnecessary ... having the option to keep it closed would be very nice

I would also like to request an option to turn off the splash screen. It adds absolutely no value for me, but is irritating to come across a window sitting in the background when I thought I'd closed the program. Surely an option to turn it off wouldn't be too difficult, it's not like I'm asking for a delivery date for the Android version of Moneybug :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The option for automatically having the application Quit when the document's closed is actually coming in the next update (version 2.5.4)!

http://www.splasm.com