Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Budgeting!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:53 pm 

I need to be able to budget.

Specifically:

1. Set spending limits for each spending category on monthly basis.
2. Run a canned report at anytime showing current balance, balance to go/balance over budget

Future enhancements that would be nice to have:

A. font color change from green to red if over budget
B. font color change to from green to yellow if spending rate projects over budget before month end
C. trend reports showing budget, spending, saving rates over Qtr. and Year
D. "What If" analysis over short/medium/long term time lines. Allows users to modify budget spending to improve Net Worth.
E. ......
F. .....

I'm not currently using a cash management application, and would really like get back to managing my money on a Mac.
However, without the budgeting feature I don't have any reason to keep track of my spending and cannot use your product.
Once you get the items 1&2 completed then I will buy CheckBook Pro, and once you complete some of the Future Enhancements I will be willing to pay a higher price for CheckBook Pro. :D

Post subject: Re: Budgeting!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:03 pm 

Not that these wouldn't be great suggestions for a full-blown cash management application, but aren't you expecting an awful lot from an application that's only supposed to be an electronic checkbook?

If I have to "budget" for some expense, I simply enter it as a normal debit (but don't reconcile it) so it comes out of my CB balance. Like, I have entered my quarterly homeowner association fees into CB already, although I won't actually pay it before the end of the month. Then I change the number when it becomes "real" (that is, when I deliver the check). That works for ME, and it may not work for someone else. I just don't expect this program to be as complicated as other seem to want.

Just my (budgeted) two cents. :|

Post subject: Re: Budgeting!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:28 pm 

Your point about “Cash Management” vs. “checkbook” is valid!
However, I don't really need the “checkbook register” cuz I can logon to my credit union and see the latest and greatest, usually within about 24 hours.
Soo, until budgeting is added to the product I won't be buying it. It is otherwise a very nice product.

What I do need, is a tool that can help me control my spending through planning, and targeting. If I can trim my eating out budget by 20% and then shift those funds to savings life will get a little easier.

I can use paper and pencil to “Budget” but the overhead buying pencils is to high!! And the reporting of the budget is rather time consuming. Thus I seek a good checkbook with a good budgeting function.

Make cents? :)