Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:02 pm 

Is the version on the App Store the same as the one they sell? The App store one can be installed on all your computers as is true for all sold there. Why pay for an extra license?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:54 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The version of CheckBook sold on our site and the one sold on the App Store are functionally the same. But one could say that buying from our site has some advantages.

•The version from our site works with versions of OS X all the way back to 10.3.9. Not everyone can run the latest and greatest. We have a few Macs amongst ourselves, namely PPC Macs that won't ever be able to run the App Store but can still run CheckBook just fine.

•If you are looking at a Family Pack, you don't have to all share the same Apple ID or know the password of the same Apple ID to get access to the application. Multiple family members can maintain their own copy without reliance on anyone else.

•Purchases directly from us are eligible for upgrade discounts from major revision to major revision. When moving to CheckBook 1 to 2, we gave a 40% discount to those wanting to move up. With the App Store, that is not possible. There is no mechanism in place to allow existing users to upgrade at a discount.

•Odds are pretty good if you live in the U.S. you won't have to pay sales tax at the time of purchase. We only collect sales tax in these states in the U.S. (sorry - we do collect VAT in Europe). The Mac App Store has to collect sales tax in every state that has one.

•Purchases from our online store can update themselves as soon as a new version of CheckBook is available. The Mac App Store usually takes 3 to 5 business days to release updates and, since the Mac App Store is a separate application, it must be running so you can see a new version of CheckBook is available.

•The Mac App Store charges us quite a bit more per order - over 3 times as much as our online store. When you purchase directly from our online store you're giving us more resources to make CheckBook a better app. Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:04 pm 

Hey Randy,

You've just listed all the reasons why I do not use the MAS at all! Keep up the good work and here's hoping that Apple doesn't force us into using the MAS in the future...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:54 am 

I wish I had read this post before I purchased from the MAS. Sorry Splasm...if only I had known!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:45 am 
Administrator
Administrator

No worries. Some people find the App Store more convenient. Personally, I'd rather have the app that I'm using checking for updates and update itself when I'm using it instead of having to remember to launch a separate app and have that check for downloads.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:06 am 

That being said, I discovered your great program through the app store as I am sure many others have. Not sure I would have ever came across it otherwise. So its not all as bad as many of the developers make it out to be. Apple's piece of the pie is basically a marketing (exposure) expense. I also like the fact I dont have to remember tons of different logins to reinstall software every time I add or replace a computer.