Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:04 am 

This is another item that I think would be helpful to have, although as far as I can tell not many people need this functionality.

I would love to see (as an item in the "balance" dropdown menu) a "selected item total."

The reason I would love to see this implemented is because there are a few places I buy a lot of stuff from online, and sometimes they break an order up into individual charges or vice versa. So this means pretty much every month I've got to go through and figure out which of these items equals the actual total on the order. Selecting the already entered in transactions would streamline this process.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for the feature request. We do have this on our list and will bump it up with a +1. Let us know if you have more feedback or ideas to improve CheckBook!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:14 pm 

Hey Randy, my pleasure!

...and since you ask, here are some more things I would love to see added to the list:

• A more functional "account tray." I do a lot of work on a 13" MBP & so space is limited. I would love to see either keyboard shortcuts to switch between accounts (rather than Accounts>Switch To) OR a more "standard" implementation of the drawer, where I can have the app "fullscreen/maximized" (with drawer hidden) and then click on "Accounts" and have the drawer come out and resize the app window. When accounts is clicked again, the drawer hides & app window is resized back to original size it was before opening the drawer. Right now when I do this the account tray just opens offscreen :(

• I would like to see shortcuts for pretty much everything. I've searched for a shortcut list, but alas found nothing, so if there are more shortcuts than what one finds under the menus, please forgive me (and point me to the list! :)

• A way to make a scheduled item from an already entered trans

• A way to change a trans from debit to credit. I would be fine with anything including adding a "+" or "-" in the Amount field. In fact that's what I tried to do when I first switched to CBP. This would be very helpful for return/refund situations.

That's all I've got for now ;P

Oops, I lied. I would like to see file encryption as well (password "protecting" a plain text file is kinda silly w/o encryption).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:44 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks again!

a few of those we had, a couple we have not. They will all get added to the list.

One reason we don't encrypt the file is that you would be shocked at how many people occasionally forget their password. With encryption, their data is as good as gone without that password. At least with a readable text file, the data or password can be recovered. The password protection itself is to just ward off prying eyes. You can't simply click on their idle Mac's CheckBook application and be able to peruse their data. A password roadblock is enough to prevent most of the basic snooping you would run into.

If you are concerned about security, our best suggestions are to log out of your Mac when you leave your desk, or take advantage of File Vault and encrypt most of your important documents in one swoop.

We will of course look into providing an option to encrypt data at the Account file level as well. Since we don't store account numbers, logins, or online credentials the need is not as pressing at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:20 pm 

Sounds good & I look forward to seeing what gets implemented.

As far as encryption goes, I'm on top of it & have my own system goin' ;) I mainly wanted to throw it out there to letcha know some ppl would like to see it. I also felt it would be nice to pass along the info just in case someone thought that the password was a strong security feature. Indeed it would work well to "keep prying eyes off," but so does enabling the sleep/screensaver passie...

I also believe that the benefits far outweigh the positives re. encryption. A great example of this is 1password, which is an indispensable app that lives on all my comps (aside from CBP, of course). If you forget your master you're absolutely and completely hosed, but it's sooo nice to know the file & backups are secure. Anyway, apologies for the rant–overall I agree that it's not too big a deal (no acct info etc), it would just be nice to see an encryption feature added. I would, however, like to say that every other feature request I've sent is more important to me than encryption. :D