Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:10 am 

It would be nice to have a column showing the running balance.

Best Regards,
David Jack Olrik

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:59 pm 

I couldn't agree more - this would be a great addition to both the screen display as well as printed reports.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:51 pm 

Bump ...

If your making Checkbook perfect don't forget about this one.

Bob :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:07 am 

Yup - it'd make it look more like an actual bank statement, with deposits and withdrawls, and a running total. A good idea!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:58 pm 

At first this seems like a good idea, but is it really needed or useful? Yes it would look more like our bank statement, but I don't see anyone citing a use for a running balance. Checkbook already has a BUNCH of built-in Account Summaries that give me everything that I would get from having a running balance, and it is much cleaner without the extra column. Moreover, Checkbook allows CUSTOM Summaries and I have used those to get totals similar to what I used to do in a spreadsheet, but much easier because I don't have to rearrange rows before viewing the running total.

Other than unneeded clutter I guess a running total wouldn't hurt but I think this request is a fallback to what we are used to and an inability to recognize that Checkbook already provides the same functionality but with a clean, new look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:23 pm 

oh yes, please please please, this would make my life so much easier. i use this software for small business imprest account and it would make my life SO much easier if i had a last column that tallied my balance AS I WENT. i have to look back over my account regularly and having this feature would make it everything i'm looking for.

is this a difficult upgrade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:53 pm 

Can anyone who really wants this feature explain what it would do that the running balance feature does not do already? Are you expecting to replace the current balance column with a running balance column or add another balance column side by side with the one CB already has?

Using OS X 10.5.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:46 pm 

The reason for the column, in my opinion, is that while I'm reconciling accounts, it is easier to find at what point an error factors into the balance. If I can see that, while reconciling a month's worth of transactions, the error occurs 3 weeks into the month, I don't have to look through more transactions than necessary. I suppose that there are other, different ways to do this, but it's the way I do it and the way I prefer to do it. It's one of the few things I think could use improvement in this app.

The running balance feature is nice, but I'd have to manually step through each transaction to see what the running balance is, and seeing it all in one column would be faster and more convenient. The column doesn't have to be ever-present, however, this new feature could be combined with the ability to show/hide columns which would also be a nice new feature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:39 pm 

I agree totally. I usually have regular transactions listed up to a month in advance so that I can see how the cashflow is looking (grim, usually....)
I'd like to be able to see at a glance what my balance is going to be next week or whatever, not just the current balance.

Post subject: Most Needed New Feature
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:44 am 

Adding a running total column is my most needed, presently-missing feature.

Using electronic banking, I make many of my payments weeks, if not months in advance.

A running balance column would allow me to see the date when scheduled debits will be exceeding credits, so that I can remedy this before I have any of the problems associated with overdrawing an account.