Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: iPhone app
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Many of the scheduling issues with 2.2 have been resolved. 2.2 has been very stable using it day to day. There are some minor issues with updating account totals when certain types of entries are added, as well as a few other smaller things that need to be addressed. Some shared code relating to interface is being worked on between Audiobook Builder and CheckBook that will aid in future features being added to both.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:33 am 

So it's been a while since we have gotten an update on the iPhone app. Anything new to report?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:00 am 

We did see some tidbits. We saw a new icon. We got word that the app was undergoing final testing. We saw the "April 18 sale thing", leading us to believe that maybe something would happen April 19 or so. Still nothing.
I guess it's because I like Checkbook. But seriously....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:21 am 
Administrator
Administrator

We are still working through the great abyss that is syncing. Mac to Mac, iPhone, iPod, iPad, and back is complicated to say the least. Syncing with one Mac to iPhone, then iPhone to another Mac, then back between the Macs at either end also adds some interesting issues and complexity that need to be worked on as well... Detecting and weighing similar entries on syncing devices to detect possible duplicates, reviewing said duplicates and optionally reviewing all changes, syncing categories, folders, smart folders, tracking removals, uniquely identifying each entry, account, folder, smart folder, etc. on each device without bloating database sizes, etc. Lots of small difficult challenges. You will see the syncing come to CheckBook 2.2 first, which then will be ported to MoneyBug and tweaked to run on the portable devices (limited ram and processing speed provide their own challenges).

We realize trying to guess how long unknowns will take was a poor choice. We would also like to stress that we have to support and maintain all of our current products, release updates for new versions of the OS, issue bug fixes, and troubleshoot issues that crop up. This can take a significant portion of our time, and we use what we have left to develop new products. Supporting our users always takes priority, and you just can't shortcut support. An entire day could be taken up solving the mystery of why some issue crops up on only one customer's Mac. Sometimes thats just how the ball bounces.

We have to try and bridge the gap between keeping our users informed on our projects, but also not try to strain expectations and timeframes. The best we can do is keep working on it and get it up to our expectations of quality and usability.

Again, I will state that if you need a solution now there are alternatives in the app store. I wouldn't want people putting off their mobile financial organization on a future product.

We love what we do, and we love making the best products we can. This can also mean that timeframes can be grossly miscalculated in the pursuit of getting things right. Just ask Blizzard ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:36 am 

Randy,

Mny thanks for keeping on working on this. I, for one, will not go to another app for iPhone/iPad/iPod compatibility. I just love CBPro too much! :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:39 am 

Longtime checkbook pro user here & love your product. Will the iCloud/iOS5/Lion create any more delays for the mobile version of the product. The syncing of my checkbook to my iPad/iPhone is something I'd really like to see.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:03 am 
Administrator
Administrator

So far Lion itself isn't proving to be a hurdle. We are looking at iCloud and how it would impact our current syncing model and we are looking at what its going to take to get CheckBook on the App store (and following all of Apple's App store rules) as well as adding Dropbox support.

We have just recently shifted our releases concerning CheckBook. 2.2 is now going to contain Account storage location changes, App store adherence for Account storage and file management, and we are pushing the database account storage and syncing to 2.5 while we look at how iCloud is going to impact our sync setup. There may be some minor point releases to 2.2, but the next major revision to CheckBook will move from 2.2 to 2.5.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:12 am 

Never gonna happen folks. Just get used to it. We've been asking for an iPhone app for how long now? Every single time I visit here I see more and more excuses for why the app hasn't come out yet.

Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:47 am 
Administrator
Administrator

MoneyBug will be released, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions and can draw their own conclusions of course. We still urge anyone needing a solution on their iPhone now to find one currently available instead of waiting on us.

I am on leave while spending time with my new baby girl so there may be some delay in responding to forum posts. Keith is picking up my slack in the meantime. Thanks for everyone's patience!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:29 pm 

Hey Randy!

Congrats on the new addition to your family. :D

Hoping your time with her is fabulous!

Cheers!

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:33 pm 

Mazel tov!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:44 am 

I agree!! I have been waiting 2 years for an iphone app and have upgraded to new iphone twice in the meantime. Cannot believe the lack of progress on this wonderful desktop application syncing issue??? :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:19 pm 

Everyone needs to chill out about the progress of an iPhone app. I have been using Checkbook for 6 years and have had every iPhone that has come available. I too was frustrated without the app and left Checkbook for another application that had iPhone capabilities and you know what, I didn't use it nearly as much as I thought I would and it was very buggy with crashing all of the time. And this was the highest rated money app out there. It finally crashed with a new iPhone app update and corrupted all of my files, including my back-ups. I have never had that issue with Checkbook Pro with regards to my information being safe.

Needless to say, after a year away, I am back home with Checkbook Pro and am very happy with the addition of being able to name your location of your file to DropBox along with the ease of use of creating a backup in another location.

Be appreciative that someone has created a wonderful program that is easy to use and straightforward for a relatively low price.

BTW, I paid $50 for the other program and it caused nothing but headaches. Personally, I would rather see a function on Checkbook Pro that enabled me to set budgeted amounts vs my monthly spending per category. I think that is where the most bang for your buck would go.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:55 pm 

anthonybilotto wrote:
Everyone needs to chill out about the progress of an iPhone app. I have been using Checkbook for 6 years and have had every iPhone that has come available. I too was frustrated without the app and left Checkbook for another application that had iPhone capabilities and you know what, I didn't use it nearly as much as I thought I would and it was very buggy with crashing all of the time. And this was the highest rated money app out there. It finally crashed with a new iPhone app update and corrupted all of my files, including my back-ups. I have never had that issue with Checkbook Pro with regards to my information being safe.

Needless to say, after a year away, I am back home with Checkbook Pro and am very happy with the addition of being able to name your location of your file to DropBox along with the ease of use of creating a backup in another location.

Be appreciative that someone has created a wonderful program that is easy to use and straightforward for a relatively low price.

BTW, I paid $50 for the other program and it caused nothing but headaches. Personally, I would rather see a function on Checkbook Pro that enabled me to set budgeted amounts vs my monthly spending per category. I think that is where the most bang for your buck would go.

Well, I agree to a point. But I gave up my MBP and only use an iPad2 when I'm away from my iMac. This move is fairly typical among non-power users, I believe. So, those of us who only have an iPhone or iPad when away from home can't keep our checkbooks up to date until we return to our home bases. Time is really of the essence here, and the only thing that's saving Splasm right now seems to be a lack of competition. I know they're working hard, and are trying to get more manpower, so I cut some slack, although YEARS seems to be an awful lot of slack.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:01 am 

I am way past this issue. They've been promising and not delivering for so long... and all we get is excuse after excuse...

I am currently researching and trying other checkbook programs. Empty promises equals lost customers... and that's a shame because there is some real potential here... but as we all know, unrealized potential doesn't have much real value...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next