Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Splits, notes, summary
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:15 pm 

It would be great to get implemented some features I'd like, briefly:

1. To name splits and maybe to mark somehow (e.g. use colors, marks or smth.) that this record is Split.
One more for: to see in summary in "To/From" section where was spended that "Split".

2. Instant view of notes.

3. Summary for several accounts simultaneounsly.

4. .mac sync, ftp sync — somesync. Now I use Automator and Transmit but...

I've tried many apps, but CheckBook is the best for me
...and as I can see not only for me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:14 pm 

I'd like to second the multiple account summaries, they really don't give that good of a picture when tracking a checking account and a credit card in the app together. In reality, you use the credit card and the checking account evently (well probably cc more but regardless) .. all the items really should be together .. since in the end the checking account pays for the credit card ...

I've seen a few threads asking for this feature aswell .. it seems its requested by more than 2 people .. so maybe it'd be worth adding in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:43 pm 

piotrb wrote:
I'd like to second the multiple account summaries, they really don't give that good of a picture when tracking a checking account and a credit card in the app together. In reality, you use the credit card and the checking account evently

Unless I don't understand what you want, which is very likely, I would NOT want this feature unless it was entirely user choice. I cannot see any advantage to putting two different accounts together - Wouldn't you lose balance information?

I'd appreciate a more detailed explanation of what exactly the feature would do and advantages. Maybe with that I'd get on board.

Using OS X 10.5.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:48 pm 

ok .. I'm using CB to track all my various accounts .. thats in my case a checking account, a credit line and a couple of credit cards

I have set up themed types for example "dining" or "coffee" .. but I could buy my coffee with a credit card or with my bank card .. I've no simple way of seeing a summary of all the diffrent types together

I'm using CB terminology here .. but I guess I don't need cross-account summaries .. I just need cross-account reports .. that look more or less like the summary views ..

I do not want to somehow mingle the banaces between the diffrnet accounts, I just want to have a view where I see a summary of all my accounts, mainly type totals over time periods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:01 am 

Wayne Dreier wrote:
piotrb wrote:
I'd like to second the multiple account summaries, they really don't give that good of a picture when tracking a checking account and a credit card in the app together. In reality, you use the credit card and the checking account evently

Unless I don't understand what you want, which is very likely, I would NOT want this feature unless it was entirely user choice. I cannot see any advantage to putting two different accounts together - Wouldn't you lose balance information?

I'd appreciate a more detailed explanation of what exactly the feature would do and advantages. Maybe with that I'd get on board.

Surely a software package has to evolve and suit the majority? I use Word but only use a fraction of its capabilities compared to my wife who is a company secretary! Ditto with Checkbook - I only use what I want. I guess if you are happy with Checkbook as it is now - don't upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:29 pm 

[/quote]Surely a software package has to evolve and suit the majority? I use Word but only use a fraction of its capabilities compared to my wife who is a company secretary! Ditto with Checkbook - I only use what I want. I guess if you are happy with Checkbook as it is now - don't upgrade.[/quote]

I can see how my comment about being user choice can convey the message that I like CB exactly the way it is.

I should have provided more detail - so here it is. I like CB the way it is because as you have pointed out it serves my needs. Your and other persons needs may be different. When I referred to user choice I should have said something like "unless it was a separate module or a preference setting".

I migrated to CB from Quicken mainly because I was being forced to upgrade to newer versions that had more bells and whistles than mine and features I did not care about. A good example was when my old version of Quicken could not display dates in the new mellenium. They no longer supported my old version and I was told if I wanted to continue using their product I would need to pay them for a version that I did not need, just to be able to display dates correctly.

Another reason I am not always in favor of adding features is due to code bloat making many apps. run slowly and load slowly.

Some of the features suggested here could and probably should be provided but many of them may be handled through a preference choice (if the code is not extreme) or a separate module (perhaps the term is plugin?) that you could purchase if it was something you needed or wanted but I could ignore it and upgrade only when and if the upgrade provided a feature that I really needed.

Personally, I think we want to accomplish the same result. I hope this doesn't make things more confusing.

Using OS X 10.5.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:14 am 

Wayne Dreier wrote:
Surely a software package has to evolve and suit the majority? I use Word but only use a fraction of its capabilities compared to my wife who is a company secretary! Ditto with Checkbook - I only use what I want. I guess if you are happy with Checkbook as it is now - don't upgrade.[/quote]

I can see how my comment about being user choice can convey the message that I like CB exactly the way it is.

I should have provided more detail - so here it is. I like CB the way it is because as you have pointed out it serves my needs. Your and other persons needs may be different. When I referred to user choice I should have said something like "unless it was a separate module or a preference setting".

I migrated to CB from Quicken mainly because I was being forced to upgrade to newer versions that had more bells and whistles than mine and features I did not care about. A good example was when my old version of Quicken could not display dates in the new mellenium. They no longer supported my old version and I was told if I wanted to continue using their product I would need to pay them for a version that I did not need, just to be able to display dates correctly.

Another reason I am not always in favor of adding features is due to code bloat making many apps. run slowly and load slowly.

Some of the features suggested here could and probably should be provided but many of them may be handled through a preference choice (if the code is not extreme) or a separate module (perhaps the term is plugin?) that you could purchase if it was something you needed or wanted but I could ignore it and upgrade only when and if the upgrade provided a feature that I really needed.

Personally, I think we want to accomplish the same result. I hope this doesn't make things more confusing.[/quote]

I take your point after clarification, no critiscism intended. I tto would welcome the opportunity to purchase modules I wanted and ignore ones I didn't!
tonyt