Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:23 pm 

I am a new Splasm CheckBook user, having moved from 20+years of using Quicken. I am loving the new checkbook, but having a bit of trouble getting the hang of how things work. At present I am trying to balance,
My Statement Balance
-Resolved
+Unreconciled
Should allow me to balance. All figures seem correct but the reconcile button is not available.
I only have 2 items that are subtracted from my checkbook but not yet cleared my bank (and appeared in my estatement)

What have I missed?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

To reconcile successfully, it’s important that the Resolved Balance is brought to match the Statement Balance, which leads to a 0.00 Unreconciled amount. So, you might start by ensuring you’ve updated the Statement Balance value so that it matches exactly the final balance you see on the statement to which you’re attempting to reconcile. Then, since the Resolved Balance is the total of all entries checked-off as Resolved (plus any Starting Balance applied to the Account), you’ll want to go back through and see that there’s an exact match for each transaction on your statement, with all of those items checked-off.

Should issues persist, there’s the option of making an adjustment, though we really only recommend doing this as a last resort. To go that route, you'll create two Entries: one, an entry in the Unreconciled amount (a deposit when you see a positive value, or a debit, if you see a negative), that you mark as Resolved so that it brings your Resolved Balance in line with the Statement Balance, and another in the opposite amount (a debit if you started with a deposit or vice versa), that you’ll never mark as Resolved, to balance the first Entry’s change to your Account Balance. This is something we’ll likely make easier in a future version by providing an “adjustment Entry” feature that does both steps in a single Entry—affecting your Resolved Balance without changing your Account Balance.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:07 pm 

Would it be possible to live chat w/you or someone, I have put off reconciling since last August when I posted this. All my history items are in and checked off, my reconcile button is dard black put does nothuing when I choose it. I really like this program but if I can't really reconcile I don't know what to do. I currently have 7 months to reconcil. Help please :-)

Statement Balance is correct (previous bank statement balance)
Resolved Balance is correct (new bank statement balnce)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:18 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We can certainly discuss availability for a chat, but there's actually an especially easy solution to your issue: update your Statement Balance. Every time you Reconcile, it's important to enter the latest balance from your statement into the Statement Balance field. So, once you do that, you should see the Reconcile button become active because the Resolved and Statement Balances just need to match exactly to get that to happen. Click Reconcile, after that, and you're done—that's the final step in the Reconciliation process.

http://www.splasm.com