Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:44 pm 

I am a new user to Checkbook Pro, having moved over from Quicken.

My checkbook was perfectly balanced while in Quicken, and I moved it over as a completely balanced and reconciled account on or about 2/28.

Since then, I've attempted to balance three statements, and I cannot balance the checkbook! I have NEVER had this problem in the past.

1. All of the entries prior to the move have checkmarks in the "Resolved" column that are grayed out.

2. All of the entries since then that have appeared on my statements have checkmarks in them, but they are not grayed out. Entries that have not appeared on my bank statements are not checked.

3. Bottom part of the ledger, has an amount of $16.33 as "unreconciled." There is an entry on my statement for that amount, and an entry in the ledger for that amount. When i check the "resolved" column in the ledger, Checkbook Pro claims I have that amount "unresolved." When I uncheck it, the "unreconciled" amount becomes $0.00.

I really have NO IDEA what's going on. There also doesn't seem to be any way to tell the software that I'm done reconciling the statement.

Like I said, I've NEVER had this problem with 20+ years of using Quicken. Now, I can't balance the account and can't reconcile bank statements.

If someone could explain to me what is going on and how to fix this, I'd appreciate it. I'm also concerned because there is a substantial difference between the amount that Checkbook Pro thinks is in my bank account, and how much the bank thinks is in my bank account. Again, this has NEVER happened to me before and I can't help thinking that Checkbook Pro is doing something weird with balancing the account but I can't find the problem until I can reconcile bank statements properly.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:35 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Seeing grayed-out checkmarks means a successful Reconciliation has been achieved at some point in CheckBook Pro. Whenever a user gets the newly entered Statement Balance to match the Resolved Balance (the total of entries checked-off as Resolved, plus any Starting Balance applied to the Account), the Unreconciled amount will show as 0.00—it's at this point that the Reconcile button becomes active and can be clicked to lock in the Resolved checkmarks.

Now, it's not at all uncommon to see the Unresolved amount change as you click a checkbox because this is the total of all entries that aren't marked as Resolved. Since you mention getting the Unreconciled to reach 0.00, though, can you see if the Reconcile button below the Unreconciled amount can be clicked while that's the case again? Doing so would complete the process. But, if it can't be clicked because it's not active, we'd recommend double-clicking the Statement Balance value you see, re-typing the final balance from the statement to which you're reconciling, and then hitting the Return key on your keyboard. While you're at it, also confirm that you've used a negative sign, AKA hyphen (-), out in front of the Statement Balance value if the balance should be negative, as would be the case for a credit card account.

Another common problem with balancing comes from using either an incorrect Starting Balance or using a Starting Balance in the Starting Balance field while it's also been entered as an Entry. So, you might check your CheckBook Pro Account's Starting Balance by going to the Account menu at the top of the screen and selecting the Edit Account menu option. The value in the Starting Balance field there needs to match the beginning balance from the statement on which the earliest entry that's been entered into the Account appears, or it needs to be 0.00 in the event that the beginning balance value appears as an Entry in the Account (whether imported or not).

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:30 pm 

Allan W. wrote:
Seeing grayed-out checkmarks means a successful Reconciliation has been achieved at some point in CheckBook Pro.

No, it never has. The first statement I received after moving to Checkbook Pro could not be balanced. Despite the fact that all numbers matched with my bank, and my statement, Checkbook Pro was insisting that it was not balanced and there was an amount that was unresolved. I don't know where that number came from.

Allan W. wrote:
Whenever a user gets the newly entered Statement Balance to match the Resolved Balance (the total of entries checked-off as Resolved, plus any Starting Balance applied to the Account), the Unreconciled amount will show as 0.00—it's at this point that the Reconcile button becomes active and can be clicked to lock in the Resolved checkmarks.

Now, it's not at all uncommon to see the Unresolved amount change as you click a checkbox because this is the total of all entries that aren't marked as Resolved. Since you mention getting the Unreconciled to reach 0.00, though, can you see if the Reconcile button below the Unreconciled amount can be clicked while that's the case again?

But, if i do that, the amount of that one entry will not be resolved, even though the statement is reconciled. So, the statement and the bank on one side, will disagree with Checkbook Pro on the other.

Allan W. wrote:
Doing so would complete the process. But, if it can't be clicked because it's not active, we'd recommend double-clicking the Statement Balance value you see, re-typing the final balance from the statement to which you're reconciling, and then hitting the Return key on your keyboard.

What does this accomplish?

Allan W. wrote:
While you're at it, also confirm that you've used a negative sign, AKA hyphen (-), out in front of the Statement Balance value if the balance should be negative, as would be the case for a credit card account.

It's not a credit card account. It's a bank account.

Allan W. wrote:
Another common problem with balancing comes from using either an incorrect Starting Balance or using a Starting Balance in the Starting Balance field while it's also been entered as an Entry. So, you might check your CheckBook Pro Account's Starting Balance by going to the Account menu at the top of the screen and selecting the Edit Account menu option. The value in the Starting Balance field there needs to match the beginning balance from the statement on which the earliest entry that's been entered into the Account appears, or it needs to be 0.00 in the event that the beginning balance value appears as an Entry in the Account (whether imported or not).

I'm not even sure what all of that means. All I know is that the account was ported over from Quicken. In Quicken the bank statement, and the account matched perfectly for about 20 years. Now, suddenly, with Checkbook Pro, I can't reconcile the bank statement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

It's likely that something didn't carry over from Quicken. Would you be willing to send us some additional details in an email to support@splasm.com? Seeing actual data would be the only real way for us to help isolate the discrepancy. Basically, a screenshot of what you see in CheckBook Pro as well as a glimpse at the statement you're attempting to reconcile with would be a good start. Otherwise, it will likely be necessary to make an adjustment—to go this route, you might choose to take the balance you're trying to achieve and subtract the current CheckBook Pro Account balance from that, then add the result to your existing Starting Balance. Or, to make Reconciling for this period possible you may be set for adding the $16.33 Unreconciled amount you mentioned seeing earlier to the Starting Balance.

http://www.splasm.com