Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:04 am 

I’m will be installing checkbook 2 on my new computer, fresh install for once. I have 2 quick questions.

1) I see I have files (CBaccounts) located in Users/Pete/Application Support/Splasm Software, Inc./CheckBook 2/

I have since moved my “working” file to iCloud/Documents where it resides. Can the (application support) files get deleted and were they leftover from a previous version? Does the software keep backups anywhere else in another folder or do I rely on TimeMachine for this? (I know I can export the backup but I had some SSD failure recently and missed out on a flawed TimeMachine backup)

2) I have the license key available to me as I install checkbook again on the new computer. However, is there a way to move the settings as well for the look and feel of the old setup to the new computer? Is the font size/colors and changes I made to the current look kept in a settings file or .plist I can transfer to the new computer?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Pete!

You can ignore the folder you're looking at. It's definitely a remnant from an earlier version, and if that path is an actual quote, it's not even in the Library folder where it would've been in use, as if you've got a copy of the Application Support folder from a while back.

In 2.5 and later, CheckBook's support files live in /Users/Pete/Library/Containers/com.splasm.checkbook2/Data/Library/Application Support/Splasm Software, Inc./CheckBook 2. Copy the CheckBook 2 Preferences file from there to the same relative location on your new Mac while CheckBook isn't open and your settings, including your serial number, will all transfer over. You may need to go back to iCloud Drive and double-click your document, though, since the last document location in the preferences file may not be the same as it was before the move to the new Mac.

You'll find CheckBook's automatic backups in /Users/Pete/Library/Containers/com.splasm.checkbook2/Data/Library/Application Support/Splasm Software, Inc./CheckBook 2/CheckBook 2/Backups. CheckBook creates a backup when it's been at least a week since the last backup, so these are more of a last resort deal. Your own backup, preferably with Time Machine, will help prevent losing any data at all.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you need a hand with anything while you get setup on the new Mac!

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:59 pm 

Perfect!