Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Can I hide past entries
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:33 pm 

Newbie. I imported my vintage 2007 quicken data and all of it came across. That is great, but.............I don't need to see entries from 2005-recent. I don't want to delete them. Is there a method to "hide".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:06 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hi David!

The easiest way to hide older Entries depends on whether you're using CheckBook or CheckBook Pro.

In CheckBook, use the Search options to limit your view to a specific date range or to something like the current year: Go to the Search field at the top right of the window, click the magnifying glass icon on the left side of the field to reveal a menu, then look for the date-related options in the middle third of the menu. If you go with a custom date range, just specify the From as the date you want to see Entries from going forward, then set the To far into the future, like ten years from now. These Search options won't stick, by default, but you can change that: Go to the CheckBook menu at the top left corner of your screen, click the Preferences... menu item to reveal the Preferences window, then put a checkmark next to Save Search Options When Switching Accounts near the bottom of the window. This isn't on when you're just starting out because it can confuse you when a stray keystroke in the Search field or a forgotten option setting in its menu of options limits the Entries you can see and you're not sure what's going on. Just keep an eye on the Search field and the label beneath it, which turns blue whenever a Search or a combination of options is active.

In CheckBook Pro, a Smart Folder will probably do just as well or better than what you can do with the Search options. Click the triangle to the left of any Account and you'll see two Smart Folders built into each new Account you create: This Year and Last Year. These limit your view to just the Entries for the current year or previous year, whatever those are. One note about selecting a Smart Folder (or Folder, if you use one): The Entries that match a Smart Folder (or appear in a Folder) are all that's fed into any Account Summary you select. That means you can set up a Smart Folder (or group Entries into a Folder) that "filters" what goes into an Account Summary, giving you pretty fine control of the data the Account Summary reports on.

I hope that helps, David. Thanks for your question!

https://www.splasm.com