Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:39 pm 

I deleted an account that I recently closed. Took me a month to realize I'd need that account for last year's taxes!

My recovery plan:
1. System backup
2. Find and note date of latest system backup before closing the account
3. Export Checkbook Pro from system backup date (found in step 2) to present in QIF format (best guess to retain all the info I'll need ) I think I can find how to do that somewhere on this forum)
4. Restore Checkbook Pro from latest system backup
5. Import Checkbook Pro file from step 3 export.
6. System backup
7 Search and edit/delete any duplicate entries and transfers

Question: is there a better export/import format than QIF that will include all fields of the entries? Of particular concern are those most needed in recovering from such a SNAFU:

• Date
• Debit/Credit status
• Type
• To/from (including Account name when type is Transfer)
• Category
• Description
• Tax Exempt checkbox (I can do that by hand if necessary)

Thanks for any suggestions!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:37 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I think you can get what you need with a bit less wrangling: Instead of overwriting your document with a backup, restore your backup to a different location, like your Desktop. Open the backup document, get the Starting Balance from the Account you need, then select and copy all of the Entries in the Account. Open your current document, create a new Account, enter the Starting Balance, then paste the Entries into the new Account. Zap the backup document and you’re done.

Unlike importing QIF, copying and pasting will get you everything except the links between transfers. That detail is lost when Entries are removed and can’t be restored, no matter how you go about it.

I hope this gets to you before you go for the original plan. Good luck!

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:01 pm 

Thanks, Keith! I was waiting until I got some word back from this forum, I hoped, before proceeding. Your plan sounds perfect. I'll be restoring from Apple's Time Machine, which gives one the option of saving the original, which seems like the equivalent of 'copy to a different place.'

So after the backup I'll move the restored copy to a workspace and rename the original without the '.orig.' tag or whatever Time Machine does to denote it.

As for the links between transfers, I don't see a problem about those. They will still be in place in both accounts, just not linked, if I understand you. The only reason they are important is that they have to be ignored as income on one end and attended to at the other for tax purposes. But my categories are set up as the primary tool for tax info, and I usually have to tell the reporting process to ignore transfers. When QIF export time comes, I'll have to sort out whether Checkbook Pro thinks transfers between accounts are of tax interest. But that's another story…

:D