Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New User Questions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:48 am 

I purchased Checkbook Pro back in December of 2017 and it has been sitting on my desktop since. I have reviewed the setup files more than once but am concerned I will set up incorrectly which is the first reason it still sits on my desktop. Since I have a bit more time right now, I thought I would give it a go. I have kept the application up to date.

I need to be able to manage 2 savings and 2 checking accounts within my checkbook. Can I do that in the software or must I set up a separate account for each? If I can, are there best practices for naming the checkbook and then the accounts within? If that can be done, then I want to migrate my data from Quicken for Mac 17 to CheckPro. I looked at that info as well but wasn't sure what I needed was there.

My goal has been to find a checkbook program that can do the above plus is easy on the eye and easy to use in terms of payments and deposits and well as reconciling each account monthly. I may also want to print portions of the checkbook register from time to time.

I would be content with Quicken again but I am not interested in a cloud or membership model. I spent a fair amount of time trying to research other products and CheckPro seemed like it was a fit. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles.

If I offend anyone with my seeming ignorance and inability to read and apply the support materials, my apologies upfront. I don't like starting something new with failure.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: New User Questions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:10 am 

You can set up as many accounts within the app as you want. As to naming convention, that would be entirely up to your preference. I have nine different accounts in CBPro. Savings, checking, credit, debit, cash, investment. All are in the one CBPro file that I have been using for 11 years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:27 am 

Yes, as many accounts as you want. I also use Smart Folders to keep the accounts organized by year. This is a great feature. You can use Smart Folders to keep handy records of your accounts by category, or payee, or whatever you want. I just need to keep them by year.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 12.22.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 12.22.03 PM.png [ 43.37 KiB | Viewed 5531 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:04 am 

If I import from Quicken, do I need to create the accounts or will the import take care of that?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:29 am 

My guess is that you would create the accounts first and then import each individual account into those. Making sure you keep the same naming convention for CBPro as you have with Quicken.