Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Split Entries
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:24 pm 

Hi all,
I'm a newbie to Checkbook Pro2 and could use some help/clarification. I'm trying out CBP2, looking to possibly switch from Banktivity. I've imported a bunch of data, some of it going way back, and all of the transactions that had splits in Banktivity with the detailed split entries hidden now have the detailed splits displayed (with the split arrow pointing down) in CBP2.

Once I’ve made an entry with a split I rarely have to go back and look at it, so all those open splits just take up real estate and add to clutter on the account screen.

Is there a way to set a default to hide splits (arrow position horizontal) in all accounts without having to go through every split one at a time in every account to close them (which is a major pain)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way!

Post subject: Re: Split Entries
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

There isn't a one-click way to hide split line items for all of your Entries - but you can select any number of Entries and collapse them by pressing the left arrow key on your keyboard, like you would in the Finder. Each Entry's split expanded/collapsed state is stored independently in the three places you can see your Entries - Entry, Reconcile, and All Accounts - so you'll need to do something like this:

For each Account

1. Select an Account.

2. Click the Entry button at the bottom of the window.

3. Go to the Edit menu at the top of your screen and click the Select All menu item.

4. Press the left arrow key on your keyboard.

5. Click the Reconcile button at the bottom of the window.

6. Repeat steps 3 and 4.

In All Accounts

1. Go to the Edit menu at the top of your screen and click the Select All menu item.

2. Press the left arrow key on your keyboard.

Years ago, Entries didn't expand by default. Some folks weren't sure how to see their split line items, though, and a few even thought they'd escaped into the ether, so we changed the default. Since we made that change we've heard from several users who'd like the original behavior. We'll add a preference at some point but probably will keep the current default as the panic that hits when you think your data's gone tips the scales that direction.

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:55 pm 

Keith,
Thanks for the help re hiding the splits. Kind of a pain because of the number of accounts, but the method that worked was the one you suggested “For Each Account”.

I do have another question that I haven’t been able to find a solution to, which also falls into the “batch” action category, only this one is a lot bigger in terms of register entries: Reconciliation.

The import of data from Banktivity, except for a few things, was successful with most accounts in Checkbook Pro 2 mirroring those in Banktivity.

Aside from this, except for those accounts imported from Banktivity that had few statements and a very small number of entries which could be reconciled manually, I have been unable to find any instructions on how to reconcile imported accounts (that had been previously reconciled in the exporting financial program) without having to go back many years and re-reconcile every statement one by one up to the present. There are a good number of accounts, all of which have hundreds of transactions in the many statements for multiple accounts.

It’s weird in that with a few of these accounts, some of the entries, but nowhere near all, were imported with the Resolved box checked, but this was random and partial in a couple of sections in different date ranges in the account. In other accounts, nothing was checked as Resolved.

Yet, with one exception, the ending balance of all accounts in Banktivity agreed with CBP even though the ending balances agree with Banktivity, these accounts all show an unreconciled amount in CBP.

Is there a way that I can reconcile an account from the first entry to the last entry that had been previously reconciled in the exporting account in one batch?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:46 am 
Administrator
Administrator

This'll probably help get things back on track: Select a group of Entries with a Shift-click, or Select All in the Edit menu, then go to the Entry menu, down to Mark, and click As Resolved to mark every Entry in the selection as Resolved in one swoop. Remove the Resolved checkmark from outstanding Entries from there.

To figure out how this happened, we'd need to see the QIF file, or even just a snippet of a few of the transactions you know were reconciled before but came into CheckBook Pro as Unresolved. Our best guess is the data just wasn't in the QIF to begin with. It's also possible the QIF uses a behavior we saw in Quicken ages ago but found we couldn't rely on for other applications, where the mere presence of the "C" or "cleared" field in the data - without a value at all - meant the transaction was cleared. That seems less likely given some of your Entries came in as Resolved. If you'd like, send over the file or a snippet to support@splasm.com and we'll have a look. We'd love to do that, just to be sure this doesn't bite anyone else, but no worries if you're over it ;).

https://www.splasm.com