Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:32 pm 

Hello. I'm generally happy with AB, so I thank you for that. However, several things are confusing:

I'm joining multiple files into a single file. On the Finish page, I see there will be 27 chapters and 1 part. That's all correct.

1. Then there's the Build Options button and page. On that page, the quality and format options are relatively clear, with the exception that the Pass Through option is checked and grayed out (i.e., unclickable) — with no explanation. While I know what Pass Through means, some users won't. Regardless, I have no idea why it's already selected, nor why it's unchangeable. It would be helpful if, at the very least, a tip appeared when hovering over that item, explaining (a) what it is, (b) why it's already selected, and (c) why it's grayed out.

2. I'm most confused by the Part Style options. Here, there *are* explanatory tips that appear, but only if the user happens to actually click on the Part Style menu and then hovers over the various options within the menu. With all due respect, the wording of the options is ambiguous; the explanations could be much clearer.

Moreover (and the following is my main point), if I've already selected options that will result in a 1-part audiobook, why are the Part Style options even available at all? It would seem that any discussion of where breaks will occur is irrelevant, since my final book will have only 1 part. No? As such, why isn't Part Style grayed out and unclickable — just as Pass Through is, above?

Also, instead of displaying "Break between files" or one of the other options, the (ideally grayed out) button should say "1 Part With No Breaks" or something like that.

If I've misunderstood this section, then please do correct me. But to my current understanding, if my finished book is to have only 1 part, it seems that options for part breaks are wholly irrelevant and should be hidden.

3. Finally, of the three tabs at the bottom of AB's interface, the Finish tab, respectfully, is misnamed. From either the Cover or Chapters page, seeing the word "Finish" on a button is like seeing the word "Done" or "Start Processing." The word "Finish" implies that there is nothing else to do and that clicking the button will execute the creation process, when in fact the Finish page actually has further options that the user can select, as well as another button to be clicked upon.

This is yet another confusing interface-element, because clicking the Finish button doesn't actually "finish" anything. :-) As such, it should be called "Summary" (or something), because "Finish" gives the wrong impression of what will take place when that button is clicked.

Thanks. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We appreciate your feedback!

1. With the Pass through option, that'll be completely grayed-out only when the option's not available—passing-through is only possible when all of your files have a constant bit-rate. Your idea to add the tooltips to explain this option when it's hovered over is a good idea, so we can certainly look into doing that in a future version.

2. We can look at making the tooltips for the different Part styles a little clearer too. Graying-out certain Part styles would be tricky, though, because there's almost always a case where each option is still relevant. The thing is that changing the Part style influences how many Parts you end up with, so even though you're going into the Build Options with a single Part that could change with your selection there—like, in your case, selecting 'Per Chapter' would make it to where you end up with 27 Parts. Also, the Target Length setting affects the Part-splitting in conjunction with the Part Style selection, so we need to make it possible for any Part Style to be selectable should the User have plans to next adjust the Target Length later such that those combined settings result in a Part split.

3. The decision to use 'Finish' as the third button at the bottom of the window was made as a way to show let the user know that they're headed to the section where things will get finished up. If hear more back that it's confusing for folks, we'll definitely consider changing it but with something like 'Summary' there's no indication that that's where you click to complete the Audiobook-building process.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:59 pm 

Allan W. wrote:
We appreciate your feedback!

1. With the Pass through option, that'll be completely grayed-out only when the option's not available—passing-through is only possible when all of your files have a constant bit-rate. Your idea to add the tooltips to explain this option when it's hovered over is a good idea, so we can certainly look into doing that in a future version.

Then when pass-through is not available, why is it checked when it's grayed out? That communicates that pass-through is enabled and can't be disabled. Shouldn't it be the other way around (unchecked and grayed out)? :-)

And since constant bit-rate is tied to the pass-through function, it would be great if that were explained in the in the interface. If you do decide to add tool tips, perhaps it could be included there.

Allan W. wrote:
2. We can look at making the tooltips for the different Part styles a little clearer too.

Thanks. :-)

Allan W. wrote:
Graying-out certain Part styles would be tricky, though, because there's almost always a case where each option is still relevant. The thing is that changing the Part style influences how many Parts you end up with, so even though you're going into the Build Options with a single Part that could change with your selection there—like, in your case, selecting 'Per Chapter' would make it to where you end up with 27 Parts. Also, the Target Length setting affects the Part-splitting in conjunction with the Part Style selection, so we need to make it possible for any Part Style to be selectable should the User have plans to next adjust the Target Length later such that those combined settings result in a Part split.

I understand what you're saying. Regardless, it's confusing. But perhaps updated tool tips would help.

Allan W. wrote:
3. The decision to use 'Finish' as the third button at the bottom of the window was made as a way to show let the user know that they're headed to the section where things will get finished up. If hear more back that it's confusing for folks, we'll definitely consider changing it but with something like 'Summary' there's no indication that that's where you click to complete the Audiobook-building process.

I understand what you're saying. I agree that "Summary" is not the ideal word. But neither is "Finish." It's inaccurate. :-)

Perhaps the better world is "Build." :-)

Thanks for the reply!