Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Update Suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:33 pm 

Wow, this program was so much easier to use than what I had been doing. You don't know what I was doing before, but it included merging each audio together.

Now maybe this is a problem I'm having by using Audiobook Builder with iTunes, but I would like more options for the 30 second playback. I listen to a ton of audiobooks. I have a sizable account with Audible, but they don't have all the books I want and I can't obviously play my CD's through their system. In addition, I'm dependent on their interface, which changes, and sometimes becomes corrupt and you lose all your downloads (which happened to me). So I'm excited about his program.

On Audible, I use the 10 second go back button, because I frequently miss a single word or phrase. Could this be added to this program?

In addition, I like to know where I am overall in the book, i.e., how many hours and minutes I have left. In this program, if I split everything into chapters, then I only know how much longer I have for that chapter, but not the whole book. I have frequently continued listening because I saw I only had an hour left.

Bookmarking would be a great addition. Not just hold your place, but bookmark for notes. Since most of us are commuting, if there was a way to bookmark, then leave a verbal message (note) that is converted to text would be nice. Then have a section that lays out a visual with all the chapters, a time line, and notes added. You could add a tag called "favorite quotes" so you could press a button at the beginning of the quote and a button at the end. At the menu, you could have a section called favorite quotes where you could play all of them, and maybe this could be converted to text too.

But my main preference is being able to have a 10 second play back button, knowing how much time I have left, and being able to bookmark.

Great product, by the way.

Thank you,
Jeff

Post subject: Re: Update Suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:06 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

It's great to hear that you like Audiobook Builder so much! Unfortunately, though, since the application doesn't handle playback and is limited by the constraints of the Audiobook format, your requests aren't exactly things that can yet be added to Audiobook Builder.

The 10 second go-back button must be a feature exclusive to Audible's app so that (or a 30 second equivalent) would be something that would need to be instituted in whatever you use to listen to the Audiobooks you create with Audiobook Builder. Perhaps Apple will eventually incorporate something similar in iTunes. It certainly sounds like a cool feature!

Also, for each Part of your Audiobook, you should be able to see how much time is left. If you're building your Books with one part per chapter, this is where you may only be able to see what's left in a particular Chapter. Perhaps you could try building your Audiobooks as single files in order to get what you're looking for. To do this, go into the Build Options by clicking the button under the Cover Art image in the Finish section. Then, use any of the top three Part Style options and drag the Target Length slider as far to the right as it'll go. If your book's longer than what the Target Length will allow, you'll need to reduce the Quality in order to squeeze everything into a single part (this is due to the size limitations of the Audiobook format). Otherwise, again, we're restricted by the capabilities of the playback application of one's choice.

Lastly, all M4B Audiobooks built using Audiobook Builder support bookmarking. This really only means that your place will be saved by iTunes or your iPod/iPhone, though. Unfortunately, at this time, there's no way to add notes associated with these place-saving bookmarks in the actual Audiobook itself as you create it. As soon as it's possible, we'll look into adding it!

Thanks!

http://www.splasm.com

Post subject: Re: Update Suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:15 pm 

Thank you. Yes, if I don't divide the book into Chapters, I can see how much time is left; however, as you said, I can see how much time is left per Chapter, and on the front screen, I can see how long the book is, so it works out. Today, I was compiling the Lord of the Rings from CD's, and the book is a particularly complicated. I decided to divide the series into six books, and it is working out nicely.
Again, thank you!