Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:26 am 

Probably a FAQ but I haven’t been able to find anything directly related:

Is there a Best Practices for managing large collections of AudioBookBuilder project files?

I’ve got a large collection which I manage on an external usb drive, along with my OpenAudible collection. When I want to load an audiobook I copy the corresponding ab file to my laptop, re-run ‘Build Audiobook’ then use Mac Books to get the audiobook loaded onto my phone. It’s clunky but works and allows reduced iCloud storage. It’s easy enough to get a list of titles from the file system, but I don’t see a simple way to generate a .csv that would also include metadata like Author or Narrator from the Cover info. By contrast the OpenAudible App has a method to export this kind of info to a .csv file.

What strategies do folks use to cope with large collections? Any chance there are existing hacks or better techniques that represent best practices?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:59 am 

This seems a bit complicated to me...
I am using just plex and prologue on the iphone.
-> The audiobooks come in as a bunch of mp3 files. I've written a program which feeds Audiobook Builder with title, author, description, genre, and cover. After Audiobook builder has done it's job, the converted audiobooks appear in plex.
Then I just have to refresh prologue on the phone and done. The complete collection is listed on the phone. If I want to take some audiobooks with me, I just have to tap on "download". But you could also stream all audiobooks worldwide if set up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:33 am 

I keep my abb files on a backup drive just in case I made a mistake, and storage is cheap.

When I finish putting together the audiobook I put the m4b on my Audiobookshelf instance which I'm hosting using pikapods. This lets me stream my audiobook on all my devices (although the iOS app is still in TestFlight).