Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:37 pm 

I'm a new user, so maybe I am doing something wrong but I can't find the solution here so far. Mac user, latest OS. When I drag audio files imported previously into ABB, everythign works as expected ... but the output for long books is automatically split into two m4b files (which are what the Apple Books app requires for an ipod. How do I either ensure that the ABB output is a single file, or put them together into a single file myself, or both? Thanks for any assistance!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:26 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hi there!

For compatibility with Apple's entire range of devices, Audiobook Builder ensures the number of audio samples in each audiobook file it builds comes in under the maximum value of a signed 32-bit number - roughly 2.1 billion. Because this is related to the number of audio samples, as you lower the audio sample frequency you can fit longer durations into a single file. At 44.1 kHz, then, you'll get around 13 hours per file. Take it down to 22.05 kHz and you get around 27 hours per file. Bottom out at 8 kHz and you're looking at 74 hours. To change the audio and Part settings, click the Finish button at the bottom of your project window, then click the Build Options... button toward the top right of the window, just below the preview of the Cover artwork.

I hope that points you in a direction that helps. Let us know if you have any questions and we'll be happy to jump in!

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:30 pm 

Super helpful, thank you! I already noticed the "quality" setting and noticed that "low" got me more space, but your reply made me click on "custom". Although 8 is greyed out for me, 11.something is an option, which should be enough -- any audiobook longer than, I dunno, 50 hours is probably a sign of an unhealthy obsession!