Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:58 pm 

I have encountered a rather annoying issue with my Audiobook Smart Playlist in iTunes 12.3. My Smart Playlist is rather simple and worked really well several years back:

MediaKind is Audiobook
Plays is 0

I have been listening to Audible for a few years, but recently received several Audiobooks on CD and pulled up Audiobook Builder which I use to use all the time, updated it so it would run under the current OSX release and ripped my books with no issue. They transferred to to my iPhone 6+ running iOS 9.2 current Beta with no problem. These books are chaptered and I historically had split my m4b files at 5 hours so when I finished a third of a book the Smart Playlist in iTunes would see that m4b as completed and pull it off my iPhone and I could listen to teh other sections. Here is what I have seen with the latest iBooks and iTunes:

If you have a book that is split in 3 m4b files, iBooks magically merges it into a single entry. I was initially really pleased with this. iBooks also knows how many chapters are in the whole book, so it displays accurate counts. Sadly I found the "Plays" variable is no longer useful. Based on what I have seen "Plays" gets incremented for each chapter listened to in the book. I have to do more research here, but found after listening to the first 3 chapters in a 35 chapter book, Plays was set to 3 in iTunes and my Smart Playlist removed the book from my phone.

Has anyone else seen this behavior and/or found a way to create a Smart Playlist that will remove a book from your device when it is finished, not when you just finished a few chapters. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

There doesn't appear to be a way to alter the behavior of a Smart Playlist with regard to how the Plays count is handled. One way to workaround the issue using Audiobook Builder, though, would be to build a part per chapter. For that, click the Build Options button in the Finish section and select 'Per Chapter' using the menu button labeled 'Part Style'.

http://www.splasm.com