Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:47 am 

I have been reading these pages for quite awhile and think I am a bit over my head. Basically I have a purchased version of the BookBuilder and will be downloading the books to Itunes for use on my Itouch.

I have already done one full book from CD ... downloaded to ITunes and it seemed to work beautifully. But before I do a second 10-CD-book I have one question.

I followed the help file directions sentence by sentence and all was crystal clear except .... after I hit "import CD" in addition to the format and quality options ... at the bottom it asked if I wanted to import "as individual files or as a single file"

I chose individual files (merely because it was already checked lol). This choice was not addressed in the directions at all. After import, I am winding up with "Disc 1 and the drop down arrow shows 5 separate files 01A to 01E ... and the same for disk 2 etc.

Is there something else I have to understand to make a choice? I'm not too fussy about these books ... I tape them to listen to on trips and then discard.

Thank-you for your time

Terry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

If you import as individual files, you can further break up a cd into separate chapters by using the split button. This is good if you know there are multiple chapters per disc and you really want to get in there and make sure you get your chapters right.

If you import a CD as an individual file, you can only have 1 chapter per cd. This is fine if you dont plan on splitting the cd into multiple chapters, or if you plan on importing cds that have musical tracks or tracks you wish to have the least amount of gap between them.

I hope this helps a bit. Thanks for the question!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:45 pm 

Thanks so much for the quick reply. At least I understand the difference now :) I don't imagine I will care much about chapters one way or the other .... we just listen 'til we get tired and stop *grin*

I am assuming that either way would be book markable? ( though it seems from my reading this feature doesn't always work anyway. But, no matter, we just note down where we stop just in case, and have been very happy with all the enjoyment our books are providing,

Again, Thanks
Terry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:01 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, either way you do it, it should still remember your place where you left off listening. Chapter markers should always work, but like you said, remembering your place on older classic iPods can be hit or miss due to its own bug outlined in a few posts in the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:16 pm 

Thanks for the clarification :)

I am a non-techie grandmother holding on by the skin of my teeth, but I manage to enjoy most of my gadgets thanks to the generosity of people like yourself.

Terry

Terry

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:37 pm 

I want to record an audio book into an iPod displaying the individual chapters.

I understand that I need to use the "Individual files" option AND choose the "Join" feature that appears in the "Chapters" window.

However, "Join " is grayed out so I have no access to it. As soon as I click on "import CD" icon, the window with the "Join" option disappears. The import begins but I have no control after this.

What am I doing incorrectly? At what stage do I "join:?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:58 am 

Hi elizmart,

You're not doing anything wrong. First you need to import your cds, then you can join the tracks into chapters.

Each cd you import will show up as a single line (group) in the Chapters window, with a grey triangle and little red bookmark on the left. If you click the triangle, it will open the group to show the tracks that were imported from that disc. Click the files you want to join, and hit the Join button. You can also drag files from one group to another.

Name your chapters either by double clicking the group and typing the new name, or by clicking "Show Details" near the bottom of the Chapters window, selecting the chapter group you want to rename and typing in the Name box.

You will also notice a little play button (when you Show Details). This is really handy for double checking you have the chapters in the right order before you build your book.

Hope this helps. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:11 pm 

Thank you so much for your reply.

I guess I did not make my question as clear as I should have.

What I want is to have all 11 tracks from the ONE CD I import to remain as separate tracks (just as they are on the CD).

I followed your instructions but still do not get 11 chapters as discrete entities. I still get one huge file.

Where am I missing the boat?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:52 pm 

If you're importing the cd with individual files checked, all 11 tracks should be inside the disc's chapter group. If you want divide the disc into 11 chapters, you just need to select the group, and press the split button. That will give you 11 chapters, each containing 1 track from your disc.

There's an image in ABB's Help that might be useful. Open the Working with Projects section, then choose Adding Files. In that image the Chapter 1 group is selected (it also has been expanded to show the 11 tracks inside). Your next step would be to hit the Split button.

Hope that's what you're looking for.