Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: No Chapter names on iPod
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:15 pm 

An audiobook flie created with ABB displays the chapters just fine in iTunes, but it doesn't seem to work on my iPod (it's an iPod color). Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but screenshots show the chapter title appearing above the 'progress' bar. Any thoughts on how to get those chapter titles to show up on my iPod? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:27 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I wish we could help out on that. As far as we know no iPod supports displaying Chapter names in Audiobooks.

One might intuit that the Part name will appear first, the Chapter name below that and the Author below that, but that's not the case. When you play an Audiobook Builder Part the iPod displays the Audiobook title first (as it does the Album), the Part name second (as if it were the Song) and the Author third (the Artist). For single-Part output the title and Part name are identical - which means the exact same text will appear in both the title and Part positions. As the iPod switches chapters it will display any change in artwork but the text will remain the same.

There is one way to see chapter names on the iPod - when the Audiobook is stored in a Podcast file instead of an Audiobook M4B file. The catch is the Chapter names are displayed immediately above the progress bar - not in the regular text area - and they're only visible while the user scrubs forward and backward (while the blue diamond progress mark is visible). That's useful for finding a specific Chapter but not ideal for at-a-glance progress checks. We've experimented with allowing Audiobook Builder to output each Audiobook in a Podcast file but haven't decided yet whether to include it in an official release. If you would like to see this in a future version of Audiobook Builder please let us know. Every voice counts!

Also, you mentioned screenshots showing Chapter names over the progress bar on the iPod. Can you point us to a place where we can view those screenshots? We're guessing they're of Podcast files, where the Chapter names are displayed immediately above the progress bar, but if we can see they're actually of Audiobook files then we'd love to do the research to determine how exactly that happened. We'll gladly eat crow at a table full of happy users ;).

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:50 am 

Keith,

I think you are right - the screenshot I saw had the chapter name right above the progress bar. That is pretty lame iPods don't show chapters.

So, I have a David Sedaris book on cd that I want to have as an Audiobook -or podcast, I guess - but sometimes I want to listen to certain stories, or chapters, so seeing the titles makes that really easy instead of listening to the beginning of each chapter or memorizing the chapter order. Should I find someway to join all the cd tracks as a podcast? What is an Audobook Builder part? Can I have one audiobook with each chapter as a part?

If making it a podcast, then, yes, it would be great if Audiobuilder could also do podcasts. :)

Thanks so much, Keith.

Stuart