Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:15 pm 

I realize there are different sources for content that you might want to use ABB to transfer to iTunes. However I am not really clear on the differences between chapters, parts and files, when these might show up and the best strategy to use ABB's settings to wind up with the file/project you want.

Audiobooks - these can either come in as CDs you import, as files you download from sources, or if you have already copied CDs into a folder for later importing—these usually show up as "Disk 1, Disk 2, etc." When you import a CD directly into ABB and then build your project and have ABB put it into iTunes, the steps in the help document are clear, but I am not sure whether it is better to have chapters or not. Do all audiobook CDs somehow have chapters already built in? Any particular reason to want to keep chapters? If you have your setting set to "pause between chapter" and it is going to take you back to where you left off anyway, what is the advantage of having chapters on an iPod?

For example I have several folders with audiobooks I took out from the library. One book had 28 CDs, each disk with many .mp3 files. I used ABB to Add Files and all 28 folders with their respective files were imported. I have no idea if chapters are somehow there or not. Figuring it was better to have the whole thing in one file, I used the Join option. The result says Chapters: 1, Parts: 2 and it is 1 day, 8 hours and 42 minutes in length. OK, what does this mean? Will it show up as 1 file on the iPod? I guess no chapters (don't know why I would need them), and what does it mean to have 2 parts?

It would be great to have a good overview in your informative help doc that would review the different ways content could show up, and discuss the pros and cons of when you might want one setting choice or another.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:50 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Jody,

Audiobooks can contain both Parts and Chapters. Parts consist of separate files. We use parts because there are limitations to the length of file that the iPod can play back successfully. A long Audiobook can end up being several parts when it is finally built. Since we do have to use parts, we give the user some control on how the parts behave and where they are split.

Chapters are markers within the file to ease navigation. For example, a book can be 8 hours long and be 1 part, but can also have many chapters within that file to show where chapter breaks are. You can skip from chapter to chapter within the book using an iPod or from within iTunes.

The join button is there to join Chapters together. Audiobook Builder is going to join your files together into as few parts as possible by default, so you do not need to use the join button to make your Audiobook into 1 file.

Whether to use chapters or not is really up to you. If you dont see using them, you can go without. We gave some flexibility regarding chapters and parts for those who would like to tailor their books to how they prefer them to be organized.