Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:16 pm 

Hi all,

I think I might be misunderstanding what the Join button does. I've got a book that is currently 2 mp3s and thought joining them in the project would result in a single m4b file but that's not the case. I'm still getting two files at the end.

Is that proper behavior? If so, what does the Join button do?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:33 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The Join button is used to combine selected audio files into a singular Chapter listing, but an audiobook project can still end up being split into multiple Parts (files), depending on the overall size of the project. The length and the quality setting used both affect the size—for example, an 13 hour long part is what's achievable for an audiobook, while using the Normal Quality option provides up to 18 hours to work with. So, try heading to the Finish section, clicking the button marked “Build Options”, choosing a lower Quality setting, then moving the Target Length slider all the way to the right until you've achieved a maximum beyond your project's length.

Also, just so you know: the reason for the limits is that files that exceed 2 billion samples have been found to cause playback stability issues such as loss of bookmark positioning or unexpected skipping on iOS device models. So, basically, the Target Length restrictions are set in Audiobook Builder to keep the files it generates under that 2 billion samples mark so that they’re guaranteed to play stably on all devices.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:01 pm 

I don't understand this limitation, which was not present in Audiobook Builder 1. I have audiobooks that are longer than 28 hours in a single file, and I've never had any issues with these audiobooks. Why is this not optional, as it would allow us to create a single file from any audiobook, which is what I consider the standard use case for Audiobook Builder?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:26 pm 

kaestle wrote:
I don't understand this limitation, which was not present in Audiobook Builder 1. I have audiobooks that are longer than 28 hours in a single file, and I've never had any issues with these audiobooks. Why is this not optional, as it would allow us to create a single file from any audiobook, which is what I consider the standard use case for Audiobook Builder?

I'd like to second this. I have tons of M4Bs that exceed these limits that play fine on my Audiobook software of choice (BookPlayer on iOS). I'd much rather leave this choice to the user, perhaps with a warning that certain configurations may not be compatible with all playback devices/software.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:01 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The same limit actually was imposed in Audiobook Builder 1—it's easy to create a 28 hour file with a Custom Quality setting in any version of Audiobook Builder. Try a Data Rate of 32 Kbps and a Sample Rate of 16 kHz, just as an example.

Also, the idea to remove the limitation from a future version has come up several times. Like tremor said, though, we'd just then have to present a warning at build times for files set to exceed 2 billion samples. Anyway, we're looking into it.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:11 am 

Allan W. wrote:
The same limit actually was imposed in Audiobook Builder 1—it's easy to create a 28 hour file with a Custom Quality setting in any version of Audiobook Builder. Try a Data Rate of 32 Kbps and a Sample Rate of 16 kHz, just as an example.

Also, the idea to remove the limitation from a future version has come up several times. Like tremor said, though, we'd just then have to present a warning at build times for files set to exceed 2 billion samples. Anyway, we're looking into it.

Thanks for looking into it! I was able to get a 28-hour book into a single part yesterday, but the required decrease in quality was substantial enough that it was unpleasant to listen to.