Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Kernel Panic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:02 pm 

Hi

I have converted 2 movie files with Podner which I am trying to transfer them to my iPod, but everytime a kernel panic occurs and I have to reboot my system.

The source files have the following properties:

Generic MPEG-4, 512 x 384, Unknown
MPEG Layer 3, Stereo, 48,000 kHz

I am encoding to h.264 (1-pass) using the default setting. I have not tried MPEG-4 encoding yet.

Any solution for this?

The videos play fine in iTunes and Quicktime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:45 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Is the kernel panic occuring while Podner is processing the files or is it just when iTunes tries to send the files to your iPod? It sounds like the latter - which would indicate an issue between iTunes and the iPod rather than an issue with Podner. Let us know which and we'll go from there.

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:02 am 

Yes, it's when my iPod is updating. I will try different settings and see whether it happens again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:28 am 

I had the same thing happening drove me nuts, reinstalled ipod software rebooted my ipod and all was well good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:37 pm 

Reset my ipod, installed software again... still same kernel panic when trying to add video files converted with the h.264 codec. I tried encoding the same file with the mpeg-4 codec and adding it to my ipod, no kernel panic. I am unsure where the problem is located.... Will try encoding the same file with quicktime pro and see if it works.

(I noticed one thing during the h.264 conversion, the time indicator during the conversion was still at appx. 20-30 minutes left when the conversion complete dialog box appeared, is this normal?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We're actually getting a percentage directly from QuickTime. QuickTime Player has similar issues with some exports, most noticeable with H.264.

The most likely explanation in your case might be H.264 Multipass - there's no way to know how many passes will be required in the end without completing a few passes to begin with, leading to less accurate percentages at various stages in the encoding process. I've actually watched the H.264 compressor decide, with several passes remaining, that it's gotten the best quality it can get, within reason, so it cancels the remaining passes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:40 am 

I tried using quicktime pro to encode the same video to h.264. When I added it to my iPod, everything worked ok. I am so confused on what the problem might be...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:34 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We're not sure what to say on this one. It's the only report of any system stability issues tangent to Podner.

The move from iTunes to iPod is a simple file copy, though there may be some discussion between the two to tell the iPod to update its file system hierarchy. That the issue is not consistent indicates it may yet happen for other files created outside of Podner. If we had your file here we would test it over and over to verify that the file itself is not related to the kernel panic. You can do this on your end by removing it from iTunes, synching, adding it to iTunes, synching, over and over again. If you could do that say ten times with the QuickTime Player output, then ten times with the Podner output, that would give the issue a chance to manifest for both files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:18 pm 

I also have had kernel panics, but I couldn't tell what they were from, as I had both Podner running in several instances, and a transfer going to my iPod. Your same problem may apply to me. I have logs, but I don't really know what to look for.

One thing I did have to do after I had these several kernel panics was to run Disk repair on my startup/itunes drive.

That fixed a few files with "invalid names" and when I rebooted all was fine. I further corrupted the testing of what had caused it by then copying the file from itunes to my desktop, and then copying that directly to the iPod.

All is OK, but I am waiting on transfering the rest til I get them all done. I am now doing them one at a time as like I said I thought Podner might not like that.

Looking for a crashlog though, I can't find one.

maybe for clarification: sometimes when I get a kernel panic, it gives me a screen that tells me to hit the power button, and sometimes it just starts stuttering, and playing half a second of whatever sound was playing from the speakers over and over and over.. I think they are the same problem.