Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:31 pm 

Hello to one and all,

I just purchased this program yesterday in hopes of converting DivX and XviD files into a format readable by my appleTV, MP4.

I use HandBrake for my high quality DVD backups, but the source on these files I want to process with Viddyup! are highly compressed to begin with. so i dropped an XviD file that was 700MB in size into Viddyup! the chose the AppleTV MP4 preset (not H.264 to save on encoding time). The resulting file was very acceptable for me, but the file size was about 1.5GB which is about double the source file. Also it seems like some resizing took place and it took the movie from the source resolution of 576 × 240 up to 720 x ...

is there a preset that i can use that will just use the videos current resolution without resizing it and just encode it at a resonable bitrate?

i do realise there is a custom that i can customize, but the reason why i got this app was to quickly and easely do these conversions...

i did try to itunes compatible same as source and the appleTV does not want to have any part in playing them, so i do have to re-encode.

i am wrabling a little bit, if you guys could maybe give me some advice or recomendations on how to go about this i would appreciate it.

thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:28 am 

I haven't checked if it works for AppleTV presets, but there's a preference where you can ask ViddyUp NOT to upscale videos.

It used to upscale when converting for 640x480 iPod format, but the new preference was added in 1.7.1

See my thread about it here: http://www.splasm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=264

Maybe it works for ATV presets as well? (it should).

cheers
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:29 am 
Administrator
Administrator

We're still letting ViddyUp! set up its default preferences with upscaling turned on, so Peter's tip is right on. You can turn that off under the Videos tab in ViddyUp!'s preferences. We're probably going to change things in a future release so that ViddyUp! does not upscale by default. One thing to note: the upscaling preference is ineffective with the Apple TV, H.264 Encoding as the underlying export component in QuickTime can't upscale.

Another factor in your case could be the choice of MPEG-4 over H.264. While the Apple TV's MPEG-4 data rate spec is lower than its H.264 data rate spec, H.264 can do more with less data rate. The Apple TV, H.264 Encoding chooses its own data rate, and employs multipass when it thinks it's necessary, but it often uses less data rate than you'd think based on the specs. For example, I just tested a 12-minute clip from Lost In Translation with the Apple TV, H.264 Encoding and it came out under 2Mbps, including audio. Of course, it took a relative eternity - about 3x longer than the Apple TV, MPEG-4 Encoding. The Apple TV, MPEG-4 Encoding uses very different settings and so, at Best Quality, the same clip came out at just over 2.6Mbps. At Better Quality it was still a bit high, at almost 2.2Mbps. At Good Quality it came out at about 1.7Mbps. As usual, the MPEG-4 results were noticeably softer than the H.264, but that might be acceptable in your case. So, you can save time by using the Apple TV, MPEG-4 Encoding, but to get the data rate down you'll need to use the Better or Good Quality settings.

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:56 am 

thank you both very much for your replies, sorry it took me a while to get back to you both, i tried the option you made mention of and it worked fine for me.

i have only been using the normal MPG4 not the H.264 for this specific application because time is an issue. currently my encode time using MPG4 at the lowest quality setting and without upscaling, it takes about 50 minutes to complete an encode.

is there anything else I can do to speed up this process? like i said, quality is not my main concern. any other suggestions to speed up this encode process is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:31 pm 

loyalty_anchored wrote:
thank you both very much for your replies, sorry it took me a while to get back to you both, i tried the option you made mention of and it worked fine for me.

i have only been using the normal MPG4 not the H.264 for this specific application because time is an issue. currently my encode time using MPG4 at the lowest quality setting and without upscaling, it takes about 50 minutes to complete an encode.

is there anything else I can do to speed up this process? like i said, quality is not my main concern. any other suggestions to speed up this encode process is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

50 mins for a full movie encode is pretty speedy is it not?
or is this a tv ep?

sorry to butt in but i am watching this thread with interest.

KYUSS