Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Segments and Leftovers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:22 am 

Two suggestions for ViddyUp!

1: I recently had to convert a .avi file into .mp4. Not a problem, if I want the entire file. In this instance, however, I just wanted to send a segment from the middle. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any way to select the segment and tell ViddyUp! to only convert the marked section. A feature like this would be truly great!

2: When my computer crashes and ViddyUp! is doing its thing, I found that hidden folders containing temporary files are left on my desktop or wherever I wanted the converted movie to appear. As those files, as far as I can tell, are not used when I start the conversion again I would appreciate if ViddyUp! would not use a temporary folder at all, or have such temporary files in a dedicated folder that is cleaned automatically upon startup, ie. the converted file would then be moved only upon completion to its final destination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

1. We'll look into allowing some very basic trimming from the beginning and end of each video clip. In the meantime, if you happen to have QuickTime Pro you can edit there and save a reference movie, then load the reference movie into ViddyUp!.

2. We don't think there's a good way to work around using temporary folders somewhere to store each process's temporary files, which can be numerous. We originally stored temporary files in the current user's Library/Application Support/ViddyUp!/Temp/ folder but learned that this was insufficient for users in a NetBoot environment with restrictions on the amount of data that could be stored in the home folder. The original implementation also wouldn't allow for multiple copies of ViddyUp! to process simultaneously, as each would overwrite the others' temporary files.

We thought the best solution for both concerns, requiring no effort on the user's part, was to have ViddyUp! store its temporary files in a uniquely named, hidden folder in the final output location. While these temporary folders will be left behind in the event of an unexpected application termination, ViddyUp! should clean up after itself the next time it's asked to output to the same location. Before each process it checks the output location for "orphaned" temporary folders in that location and removes any that it finds.

One exception to this is if the user outputs across a network to a shared folder and the process is interrupted, then the same or another user outputs to the same shared folder from another Mac. The unique name assigned to each temporary folder is machine-specific and they can only be positively identified as orphans from the same Mac. So, the Mac in use when the process ended prematurely will clean up the next time it processes to the same shared folder but any other Mac will not.

Would you prefer an option to choose whether temporary files are stored in the Application Support folder vs. the final output location?

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:57 pm 

I think an option would be nice. For us that have no problem using the home folder it would be nice to have a fixed location that we could check now and again for any "leftovers"

cheers
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:25 pm 

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I do use Quicktime to trim movies... but it would be great to do this directly in ViddyUp! One step less to take.

As for the output folder: I think a general location in the application support folder would be preferred. Or an option to select between the two alternatives mentioned. Personally, I don’t output to the same location every time, which is why the “leftovers” will remain and take up precious disk space. I must have freed some 500MB when I found that hidden folder.