Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Avoid upscaling
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:02 am 

I just tried converting some DivX files that where 624x356 and noticed that ViddyUp upscales the video to 640x361 when converting to the new iPod format.

In my opinion this is not optimal, as upscaling the video only degrades the quality and increases the filesize.

Would it be possible for you to change this for the next update, so that ViddyUp never upscales video?

(could be a preference, but I can't think of a reason why you would want to upscale as the iPod plays files with smaller resolution than 640 wide without problems).

If you want me to betatest it, I would be happy to do so.

Best regards
Peter Schaufuss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:42 am 

It would be nice to hear from the programmers if this is something they plan on adding, and maybe also when - if they decide to add it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:07 am 
Administrator
Administrator

You're right that it hurts quality, but we've got to maintain the implicit truthiness of the 640x480 presets. We can do that by making upscaling a preference, along with a few other options we've been considering. We're not ready to announce when we can include this in an official release, but we'll do our best to let you know when we're getting close.

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:07 am 

Making it a preference will be fine with me, if you find that the best solution.

As long as one can select NOT to upscale videos smaller than the preset width that will be great.

I understand you can't give dates, but I hope you can include it soon :D

Thanks for a otherwise EXCELLENT piece of software.

cheers
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:50 pm 

Any news as to whether we'll see this option in an update soon?

ViddyUp is far the easiest program to use, especially when adding subtitles to films, but the upscaling is a problem with many files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:20 am 

Call me impatient :roll: but I'd really like to get a hint as to whether we'll see this implemented anytime soon.

I understand you have probably been busy with your new AudioBook Builder program (which I'll probably also invest in, once I've finished listening to the 2 complementary Audible Books I got last week :lol: ) - it looks really cool.

But I REALLY miss the fix/feature - I'd be happy to test any alpha/beta versions you have available.

cheers
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:51 am 
Administrator
Administrator

You've guessed right about Audiobook Builder ;). It's a week old today and we've been some busy parents with our new baby.

The upscaling preference is currently a part of our ViddyUp! 1.7.1 plans. We're not at a point where we can talk about timeframe but we won't forget you guys who're waiting for this after we get over the hump with Audiobook Builder.

A note on Audiobook Builder - it won't work with Audible.com content because it's in a proprietary and/or DRM format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:08 pm 

Hi Keith

Thanks for the update - good to hear it's coming :D

I wasn't planning on using AudioBook Builder with Audible content, as it's already divided in resonable sizes.

What I meant was that I don't have any use for it until I'm finished with the Audiobooks I currently have (from Audible).

Once I'm through them, I plan on borrowing some Audiobook CD's from our local library and use your program to make them iPod friendly.

Anyways, as soon as you have a workable copy of ViddyUp 1.7.1 with the upscaling preference that you would like feedback on, please feel free to contact me - I'd be happy to do some betatesting for you guys (I'm currently using 1.7.1d3 with the subtitle encoding format feature with great pleasure).

cheers
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:40 am 

I can see from the activity in the AudioBook Builder forum that you are still working out some bugs in that program.

However, I would really appreciate if you would release an updated version of ViddyUp soon where you can disable the upscaling - it's been almost a month now and I've more or less stopped using ViddyUp because of this issue :cry:

Even a betaversion would be fine :?

Here's hoping... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:56 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Peter - check your personal email for a download link for ViddyUp! 1.7.1a1, which includes a preference to disable upscaling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:05 pm 

Cool :D

Will check it out ASAP and get back to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:11 am 

I've now tested with and without upscaling on both H.264 and MP4 and all seems to work as expected.

Way to go guys!!! :D

Super great that you implemented that feature - ViddyUp is so much more usefull now.

A have another feature suggestion, but I'll post that in a separate thread :wink:

Keep up the good work!

cheers
Peter