Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:12 pm 

Guys: When I switched two years ago from Windows to a Mac, my only regret was that I knew I'd have to use Quicken for Mac, and I dreaded it with a passion! I'd used trial versions of Quicken when on Windows - they always came pre-loaded with all the other junk on new computers - and knew from that that I didn't like Quicken at all. But, after a month on my Mac, I knew I'd never go back to Windows so I went ahead and shelled out $80 for Quicken for Mac and struggled though all the stuff you have to go through to get the darn thing set up. I've used it since and hated everything about it. Because we're snowed in here in Atlanta today, I sat down and started downloading and trying about 10 different demo versions of financial software - from freebies to the expensive iBank. They were all either pretty useless or just as awful as Quicken -- until my final demo download - CheckBook. I actually downloaded the trial version of both CheckBook and CheckBook Pro so I could compare them, and found that CheckBook meets all my needs. Setting up accounts is a breeze, as is importing all my accounts data. I love the import drop down box which lets you choose which account to import. When converting Microsoft Money files for import into Quicken I had to save each individual account separately instead of being able to save my entire file to one location - a real pain! Being able to choose which columns to show and being able to drag them into the order I want is a great feature. But the most important thing for me - I'm an old lady of 65 with vision problems - is being able to change the font size for the register - a big problem I had with Quicken. You've done a great job with this program. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Brenda in Atlanta :roll: :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:04 am 

Just don't ask it to auto-schedule your Social Security payments on the "x"-Wednesday" of each month.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:24 am 

Auto scheduling is no problem for me because such deposits are included in the files I download and import from my banks. This is something I even had to do with Quicken for all but 2 of my 9 accounts. If all my accounts could be downloaded and imported directly into my accounts from my banks, then having the auto download function would be an issue, but for now it's not. With few exceptions, I don't make manual entries into anything but my backup - my old-fashioned checkbook register. I've played around with CheckBook and really like it much more than Quicken. So far, the only thing I'd like added is a function where you don't have to type in your decimal point - but all the other benefits are great and not having to use Quicken far outweigh that little item. I still say - good work, guys.

Brenda in Atlanta :roll: :D