Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:50 pm 

Having been a user of MS Money on the "Dark Side" for a number of years, I've become accustomed to certain features that I wonder could be implemented in Checkbook.

Optional Preferences:

1. Automatically place decimal point for debit or credit entry.

2. Entering and sorting transactions: By date or by entry order (in other words not necessarily in chronological order).

I've been using Checkbook ever since switching from Windows last April. I was very pleased at how easy Checkbook imported my QIF data from MS Money saving me a load of work re-entering transactions to catch up with my last bank statement.

Thanks and regards.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:59 pm 

chscag wrote:
Entering and sorting transactions: By date or by entry order (in other words not necessarily in chronological order).

??? Click on the column heading of whatever you want to sort by. Click again to reverse the order -- up or down -- is that what you mean??

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:58 pm 

Thanks for your reply.

Checkbook sorts by date either descending or ascending. I would like it to have an option to sort by entry order or by date, not just by date regardless of the amount or who the transaction was written to.

In other words if I enter transactions I have from several days ago - not the current date - I want to be able to keep those transactions in the order I enter them, not sort them by date. That helps me keep Checkbook's balance in step with my paper checkbook. This was and still is a feature available in MS Money for Windows.

Regards.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:45 pm 

Hi,

Can you do what you want by going up to the search function(upper right part of Checkbook), clicking on the magnifying glass arrow, and selecting how you want your entries to appear? Hopefully, you can get to what you want like this. I, too, would love to have the automatic decimal place in my entries.

Cheers,

T

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:57 am 

timberguy wrote:
Hi,

Can you do what you want by going up to the search function(upper right part of Checkbook), clicking on the magnifying glass arrow, and selecting how you want your entries to appear? Hopefully, you can get to what you want like this. I, too, would love to have the automatic decimal place in my entries.

Cheers,

T

Thanks for the reply. Just tried it but it won't sort the way I described previously. It seems to me that the folks at Splasm could easily add the option I suggested to the way CheckBook does its sort. Chronological sort makes sense for a lot of things, but unfortunately in the real world it doesn't always work out that way. For now I can get around it by "fudging" the dates.

Regards.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:27 am 

I see. You'd like a non-editable ENTRY date as well as an ACTIVITY date. I can see the use for that, too. But what if you later modified the entry? Would the ENTRY date be the original or the revision date, or would you also need an additional field? Would the ENTRY date also have to keep track of revisions?