Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:32 pm 

When transferring $$ from account A to account B, I enter the debit type as "transfer" in the type field of debit dialog box. The word "transfer" does not automatically populate the same field in account B. Why not? It's a transfer in both accounts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:42 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Type is one of a few details that CheckBook doesn't sync between Accounts because it won't always be the same on both ends.

In the old days, the original "transfer" Entries in CheckBook 1.x weren't Debits or Deposits, like they are now. Back then they were called "Transfers" and the user couldn't change the Type because it was hard-coded to just be "Transfer". In CheckBook 2 we set up Debits and Deposits so they could be "linked" with Deposits or Debits in other Accounts - so now what used to be a Transfer is what we call a Linked Entry. It's more flexible, since funds can be moved between Accounts in different ways, like with a check written out of one Account and deposited into another. In that case the user would probably want the Check Type on one end and the Deposit Type on the other.

We're playing with some changes in CheckBook 2.5 to try to get back some of that old hard-coded behavior without giving up the flexibility: When you create a new Linked Entry the near end, the Entry in the current Account, will use whichever Type you set, but the far side, the Entry in the other Account, will show up with a Type of "Transfer" until you try to change the Entry's details, when you'll see the Type is set to None. When you press OK in that Entry whatever is selected in Type, which could still be None, will be what's used from that point forward. We might give up on that track and jump over to having a button that takes you to a Linked Entry's mate in the other Account, kinda like the button in Mail.app that shows you a reply you've written to a particular message. We'll see...we're trying to stick close to the big feature in 2.5 - moving to a real database back end and supporting sync between Macs and the upcoming iOS app.

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:59 pm 

I still don't follow you, but it really doesn't matter. Bottom line is I can't do what I want to do. So I would be good with an option in Checkbook 2.x to allow me to have an automatic population of the Transaction Type field of "Transfer" in the receiving account when it's specified in the "to" account.