Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Some requests...
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:17 am 

Hey guys,

Great product. I prefer to do my balancing offline and compare with the online, so that I feel more in control of knowing exactly what I have, lol. So I'm glad to have a product that doesn't want to rule my life with importing from my bank online. It's also a simple app, so I can do what I need and get on with things.

Anyhow, I was wondering if there's any chance you could make it optional to have a small Notes textfield on the initial tab when doing a debit or credit? I haven't used the Notes field simply because I'm just going down the list on the initial tab and entering the record, but I realized that I'm screwing up myself for budgeting, because I should be using the Description field as a Category field, not sure if this is how it is intended to be used.

I was also wondering if you could add the ability to edit which columns you see on the Entry page?

Any chance of a widget to do entries through?
I wrote the first photocast widget (DashCast), so if I could offer any help, I'd love to! ;)

Also, lol, this is the last request, can we set a default Type for transactions? I'd like to use the field, but generally I like to just enter the amount, description, and go on. It'd be nice to have a default.

Anyhow, great product. I'm looking forward to what you do with it. It fits my needs perfectly.

DDB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:44 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for sending in your requests. I think we've got most of these covered already or they'll be addressed in CheckBook 2.0.

Categories and Subcategories will have their own field in CheckBook 2.0, so the Description field will end up being the mini Notes field you're looking for.

CheckBook 2.0 will allow the user to show/hide columns in the Entry and Reconcile sections of the application.

We've considered a Dashboard widget but we keep asking ourselves two questions:

1. Would selecting the appropriate Account and creating a new Entry in a widget be significantly, or even marginally, easier than clicking the CheckBook icon in the Dock and performing the same action? Enough to warrant the resources we'd need to invest in reimplementing the Entry interface, finding a reasonably efficient solution for interacting with Types and Categories, which are not free text, and getting CheckBook ready to understand the output of such a widget?

2. How would we manage the dynamic parts of the Entry interface, where temporary windows with additional functionality appear, such as the current date picker and CheckBook 2.0's new Currency Exchange Helper?

3. What possessed Apple to exclude Objective-C from the widget runtime architecture, forcing Cocoa applications developers to become web developers?

#1 is the truly important question, and #2 is also high on our list. #3 is just downright vexing.

You can manage your Descriptions, To/From items and Types (including default Types) by selecting "Edit Account..." from the Account menu at the top of your screen. The Account Options sheet will appear, with tabs across its top for each of the items you can manage. You'll see the default Types controls at the bottom of the Types section.

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:29 am 

Keith,

I assume that version 2 will offer some basic functionality to convert 1.x data into the new category-friendly system. What happens if I haven't used the Description field for what will become categories?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:20 am 

WolfUK wrote:
Keith,

I assume that version 2 will offer some basic functionality to convert 1.x data into the new category-friendly system. What happens if I haven't used the Description field for what will become categories?

I agree - I think I have done things 'back to front' and have a lot of data I don't want to loose. I know I could just take the new balances across and start from scratch but don't want to loose the ability to look back at previous transactions / projects
tonyt :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:32 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Of course 2.0 will read 1.x's data. We wouldn't imagine it any other way ;).

We're tentatively planning to have 2.0 ask the user if they would like to convert their Types to Categories and use 2.0's default Types, or if they would like to leave their Types as-is and use 2.0's default Categories. The other fields would come into 2.0 as-is.

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:24 am 

Sounds good, thanks for the clarification.

Post subject: Re: Some requests...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:20 am 

What about a widget that just shows the balances in the accounts without worrying about entries? I'd like to see my balances without having to open up the application just to make sure I have the cash in the account that I'm about to use my debit card online for some purchase...