Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:03 pm 

I'd like to see an additional column for category. I find I already use the "Type" and "Description" fully but still would like to further elaborate for better reporting by having "Category". That way, one could have, for example:

Type=Check
Category=Computer Expense
To/From=Discover Card
Description=Photoshop upgrade.

Otherwise, there are always 2 things I need to enter into Description. Thanks for a great program!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:27 pm 

lemuse wrote:
I'd like to see an additional column for category. I find I already use the "Type" and "Description" fully but still would like to further elaborate for better reporting by having "Category". That way, one could have, for example:

Type=Check
Category=Computer Expense
To/From=Discover Card
Description=Photoshop upgrade.

Otherwise, there are always 2 things I need to enter into Description. Thanks for a great program!

May I ask why you are using Type for identification of checks when there is already a column for check? I use Type like you are suggesting to use a column named Category; i.e. Computer:Software, Computer:Hardware, Computer:Supplies. Other types for Medical, Automobile, Travel, etc. are set up the same way.

To each his own, I guess.

Using OS X 10.5.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:03 am 

Well, check was just one example. I like to identify my expenses and deposits/income. Most of my transactions these days don't require a check as I do online, so that column is mostly blank, but the Type and description are used heavily, to the point of having to write two things into one. That's why I'd like another column.

Post subject: I agree with this need.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:45 pm 

:o Typically I use "Type" to denote one of check-draft-ePay-PayPal-Deposit-Withdrawal, and I use "Description" for unique, one-of-a-kind things like "MacWorld subscription 2 years". Another column or maybe two more columns that would let me put different types of categories such as food-medication-recreation-credit card-doctor-dentist-business expense would allow me to collect those items together in Summary Report. This is #4 in my priority wish list. The others are posted elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:13 am 

Yes budsimrin, that is what I'd like too. I am using my "Type" column exactly like you do. I too use the description column for categories like "Medical", "Business Expense", etc. but it is too general. It's important to have another column to say what that expense was, like "Photoshop", or whatever. I need to know what are valid expenses for tax time, and if it only says "business expense" with no description of what it was, there is no way to remember what it was for. Yes I do keep my receipts, but I like the full details reflected in Checkbook for quick look up and reports. That is why we need another column.

If I were to use my "Type" column as the category column as suggested by the other poster, then I would forfeit a place to state what kind of transaction it was, i.e. check, electronic withdrawal, ATM withdrawal, Interest, Debit Card purchase, etc. since there are so many.

It's necessary that I have record of these things: the Type of Transaction (debit card, ATM withdrawal, check, electronic withdrawal, etc.); the Check number, if there was a check; the To/From (payee/payer); the Category (food, medical, business expense, etc.) AND Description of what that item was in the category column (Photoshop, Contact lenses, etc). That to me is a natural flow. Since there already is one called description, I need and would love another column called "Category".

Thank you for such a great program.