Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: iPhone app
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We have set out to create an app that will function on its own as well as pair with the desktop version. This will give the opportunity for people who do not own a mac or do not own the desktop version of CheckBook a way to manage their finances without its companion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:40 pm 

TKucifer wrote:
I'm waiting hopefully too. Have you surveyed your users to see just what they want from a mobile app? I doubt many of us need the full functionality of CB--although there will be exceptions--for my part I'd be thrilled just to have a portable way to enter transactions that I could then sync at my Mac. Essentially, I'd be automating my check register (including debit transactions and so forth). That kind of an app would be simple enough; maybe if that's the majority opinion you could get something to market that would satisfy the masses quickly.

In the meantime, you might want to consider trying iBank.

It does a fantastic job of doing exactly what you want. The Mac version is great. The iPhone version should, in my opinion have a few more features (such as allowing you to see upcoming scheduled transactions), but all-in-all, it is great and allows for quick entry of transactions during your day. When you get home, syncing between your Mac and iPhone is utterly painless.

When Splasm finally does release CheckBook for the iPhone, I may well purchase it and start using it on my Mac again. But, regrettably, for the time being, I couldn't wait any longer and had to go a different route.

If you feel the same way, iBank is a great program.

Kirk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:16 pm 

I actually switched FROM iBank to CheckBook; wasn't a big fan of the other and had some technical issues they weren't able to resolve. I love CB and don't want to go back to iBank; it would just be nice to have the sync feature. It's just not a big enough deal for me to get too excited about.
I was a huge fan of MS Money--their bill pay feature is unequalled--but when I got a Mac last Mother's Day I had to find something else (not to mention the sunsetting of the Money anyway!) I'm still looking for the right solution but iBank wasn't it either. Sigh.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:33 pm 

I have been using Checkbook since 2004, but I just went away on a trip for 10 days and didn't take my laptop with me, preferring to take the iPad instead. I made around 40 transactions whilst I was away and couldn't record anything until I got back.

I have waited so long for the mobile Checkbook app that I decided that I couldn't wait any longer and moved to what looks like a superb application - PocketMoney. I have just exported the QIF file from Checkbook and used SyncDocs for a straightforward transfer to PocketMoney on my iPad.

Checkbook has been a great app and many improvements have been added to it over the years. Thanks a lot for that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:02 am 

TKucifer wrote:
I actually switched FROM iBank to CheckBook; wasn't a big fan of the other and had some technical issues they weren't able to resolve. I love CB and don't want to go back to iBank; it would just be nice to have the sync feature. It's just not a big enough deal for me to get too excited about.
I was a huge fan of MS Money--their bill pay feature is unequalled--but when I got a Mac last Mother's Day I had to find something else (not to mention the sunsetting of the Money anyway!) I'm still looking for the right solution but iBank wasn't it either. Sigh.

Frankly, I agree with you. I don't like iBank nearly as much as CheckBook, but the bottom line for me is that I just got sick of waiting for Splasm to get an iPhone version out. My argument isn't against CheckBook; it's a great program, no doubt. It's against Splasm's freezing cold molasses-like approach to getting the iPhone version completed.

I can't tell you how amazingly awesome it is to have my phone with me while I'm out getting some gas for my car or going out to dinner, being able to bring up iBank, put the receipt in, then when I get home syncing the phone with my Mac and having everything absolutely up-to-date. It's great knowing my bank balance at a moment's notice no matter where I am.

So do I like iBank better than CheckBook? Nope. Not even close. But Splasm's lack-of-speed has forced me to look elsewhere.

When (or perhaps IF) they get an iPhone version out, I'll look at it and switch back if it works for me. But, honestly, the iBank combination is working out great right now.

God forbid we should ever hope for an iPad version.

Kirk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:05 am 

andyhayes wrote:
I have been using Checkbook since 2004, but I just went away on a trip for 10 days and didn't take my laptop with me, preferring to take the iPad instead. I made around 40 transactions whilst I was away and couldn't record anything until I got back.

I have waited so long for the mobile Checkbook app that I decided that I couldn't wait any longer and moved to what looks like a superb application - PocketMoney. I have just exported the QIF file from Checkbook and used SyncDocs for a straightforward transfer to PocketMoney on my iPad.

Checkbook has been a great app and many improvements have been added to it over the years. Thanks a lot for that.

Agreed, Andy. The same for me. I had to move on.

Splasm made a great program, but they are horrible at listening and responding to their loyal customers, at least on this subject. And that's a sure fire way to LOSE their loyal customers.

Kirk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:44 pm 

Randy,

Any chance of having the iPhone app sync with the desktop version using MobileMe?

Thanks

Jace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:18 am 

I agree. The wait has been too long. Checking the Splasmata page, has even made me angry from time to time. I want my iPhone app!
I gave up. I like Squirrel. It's not complete, but the guy is working hard.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:25 am 

I have moved on as well. I switched to iBank, it's the only one I can find that will sync with iPhone using MobileMe.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:56 pm 

All of us saying we've moved on and no reply from Splasm or Randy at all.

A perfect example of the problem and the reason we've switched.

Kirk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:39 pm 

Actually, not all of us have left. I'll stick with CBP whether they get the iPhone app or not. It's simply the best for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:42 pm 

prider wrote:
Actually, not all of us have left. I'll stick with CBP whether they get the iPhone app or not. It's simply the best for me.

Fair enough. Wish I could say the same.

And I would--as I have said--come back in a heartbeat if they actually deliver an iPhone/iPad app. I'm just tired, tired, tired of the empty promises.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:48 am 
Administrator
Administrator

By the end of the year is the best we can do for a release date. We are currently working on getting the phone and desktop versions to talk to each other and sync data.

We have not once given a release date before now because we didn't have any solid timeframes for its completion. I am not sure where 'empty promises' come into the equation. We were asked if we were working on a mobile version of CheckBook. Yes, indeed we are and we answered that question. Our day to day operations and work schedules permit us a certain pace on new projects, and we work at that pace. Occasionally life with its ups and downs slows that process.

We have not yet advertised or included phone syncing features in our literature or sell on the promise of phone interoperability. Our products are sold as is and we hope they are judged on their intended merits and not on hopes of what they will one day become.

If you absolutely need a mobile solution in the next few months, by all means look for a product that is being sold on the App store today. I have been suggesting this from very early on. Do not wait for things that may be coming out at some point in the future. If you need a solution, it is best to find a solution and not wait for one.

We hope people will enjoy the features that the mobile version of CheckBook brings when it is released. We look forward to using our own phones to enter transactions or check balances while out shopping or at the gas station.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:01 pm 

Randy.

Thanks for your continued good work. Rest assured there are some of us who 'aint goin' nowhere else!

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:31 am 

Hi Randy,

I feel obliged to add a reply here, and I'd be shocked if I'm the only one that feels this way.

I'm sure I'm not the only user who would laugh at the thought of abandoning the outstanding desktop Checkbook program, just so I could punch in finances on my cell phone or ipod. As you have mentioned the option is there to use any of the many available ipod/iphone apps in the meantime, and personally speaking, a mobile version is not a replacement or a dealbreaker for the desktop app...i mean seriously, we all managed to survive before mobile apps just fine. I have tried out a number of ipod apps for finance, and haven't been terribly impressed with any of them, let alone been wooed into switching desktop software(of which I had also tried a number beforehand and Checkbook is by far on top) simply for mediocre compatibility/syncing.

Really what I would like to say is thank you for concentrating on making what I expect will be a quality app despite the bullying and perceived intimidation tactics that have gone on to release something before it is ready. The world really doesn't need another half baked finance app thrown in the mix just to be 'in the wild'. I expect this will also serve as an introduction for many new Users to Checkbook and Splasm - I think the extra time and care being put into this app will make an excellent first impression while serving as an accurate representation of the quality of the desktop app.

Thank you for all of your hard work, I look forward to the app when it is available.

-damian

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next