Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cash Flow Forecast
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:43 am 

I am a new user, so please pardon this question if it has already been asked. Are there any plans to add a cash flow forecast (based on current account balance and scheduled transactions)?

I think this would be a great enhancement. I am a recent convert to Mac and previously used MS Money on my PC. The Cash Flow Forecast was an invaluable tool for me.

BTW - What I have seen of CheckBook so far is fantastic!

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Cash Flow Forecast
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:26 am 

jarthur wrote:
Are there any plans to add a cash flow forecast (based on current account balance and scheduled transactions)?

This or similar discussions have appeared before. I am not opposed to having that feature in CB for those that want it or feel they need it. I don't feel that it should be built into CB but be a separate module that could be purchased by those who want it. The module could then integrate seamlessly with CB.

I feel CB does what it is designed to do very well and would not appreciate having it loaded with extra features; trying to make it another Quicken.

Using OS X 10.5.1

Post subject: Re: Cash Flow Forecast
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:24 pm 

Wayne Dreier wrote:
I am not opposed to having that feature in CB for those that want it or feel they need it.

I have just bought my first Mac (a Mac mini Intel duo) after my AmigaOne G4 motherboard died (I still hope it can be repaired).

The first Mac program I have needed to buy was Checkbook as I am lost without the ability to keep an eye on my outgoings. I am really pleased with Checkbook (apart from the spelling of 'cheque' ;-) ). However, for me the whole point of an accounts package like this is to be able to forecast how much money I will have left by the next payday.

I suspect that jarthur meant something quite a bit more complicated than I need (sorry, I'm not sure what a 'cash flow forecast' is), but on my Amiga I used a ten year old program called Digita Money Matters, and I could select a menu option 'What If?' which allowed me to enter any date. Money Matters would then add in all my scheduled credits and debits up until that date and give me projected balances for my accounts.

Could this be added to Checkbook please, or is it already there and I've missed it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

CheckBook doesn't provide a balance forecast feature yet, but we're working on it. We've prototyped an interface in the Scheduled Entries Reminder sheet, allowing users to look ahead a variable number of days, weeks and months. This will give users a way to see/change/commit/skip Scheduled Entries a variable time period into the future and also see what the balance should look like with/without those Scheduled Entries committed. Users would also be allowed to access the Scheduled Entries Reminder even when no Scheduled Entries are due for the current date or before.

We're shooting to have this feature available in September - keep an eye out for it!

https://www.splasm.com