Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:24 am 

I've spent a while trying to find if this feature already exists, but I cannot seem to find it.

It seems odd to me that a program which is called "Checkbook" would lack one of the most important features in an actual checkbook - the "BALANCE" field after each transaction.

I absolutely love Checkbook. I've tried switching to other programs but I always come back to Checkbook. The only reason I've thought about switching away was because the lack of the balance column after each transaction.

I don't think I'm the only one who doesn't always update their checkbook after each transcation. Sometimes I get lazy and wait a week or so before I update my checkbook. Sometimes I'll have a busy spending week and there will be lots of transactions and I'll forget to copy one from my bank statement down into the checkbook. When I'm finished I notice that my bank statement and my checkbook are off by <x> dollars. The easiest way to figure out where I went wrong is to look at the balance after each transaction (since my bank shows it) and notice where I went off.

It would be great to have the balance after each transcation be displayed as well. It must be super easy to add this :)

Also, since some people might not actually want this feature, it might be nice to have the ability to choose which columns are displayed?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:27 pm 

Click on the arrow next to 'Balance' at the bottom of the screen and try using the running balance setting, then run through your transactions using the arrow keys or cursor scroll - although it only shows at the bottom of the screen, not next to each transaction a la statements.
Alternatively, export your account into a spreadsheet, the balance column is there, it just does not show on the CheckBook screen.
Hope this helps
tonyt :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:35 pm 

tonyt,

Thanks for the tip! That will definitely help me in the future :)

It still would be nice to see the column in checkbook, but I can definitely handle doing this in the meantime :)

-Leftquark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:54 am 

I agree...it's very annoying to have all that extra screen real estate to the left of the screen being blank. Striking a balance after every transaction seems like a no-brainer...why is it missing??

On another similar point, it appears to be impossible to add/remove column headings? Am I stuck with having a "Description" column, even though I never use that field in my transactions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:23 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thank you for the feedback, folks.

We'll provide a running balance column as well as the ability to show/hide columns as part of CheckBook 2.0. Both features are working well in the latest build of 2.0. We're not at a point where we can commit to a firm timeframe for 2.0's release, but I can tell you we've got a whole lot more than these two features in the works. When things are a bit further along we'll let more details slip out in public. Hang in there!

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:45 pm 

You guys rule! Thanks!