Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:18 pm 

geochapman wrote:
Then how can you get it to open on the other computer?

The app must be on the other computer, too. And, at least for now, you can't sync the data on multiple computers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:28 pm 

t3rockhall wrote:
geochapman wrote:

The app must be on the other computer, too. And, at least for now, you can't sync the data on multiple computers.

Obviously. It is but if I move those files over to the second machine they do not open and I see no Open in the File menu.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:38 pm 

geochapman wrote:
t3rockhall wrote:
geochapman wrote:

Obviously. It is but if I move those files over to the second machine they do not open and I see no Open in the File menu.

Where are you putting the Accounts.plist file? When you open the app for the first time, you'll create a folder in your user library/Application Support named Splasm. There is an empty plist file in there that must be replaced with the active plist file you copied and want to move.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:01 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

you can place the accounts.plist in the same folder on the other computer, or go to the CheckBook menu while running checkbook on the other machine, choose preferences, click on the advanced tab, and use the restore accounts button to bring data from the other computer to the new one.

If you want to have both computers using the same account file, you will need to use the 'Change' button to change the location of the accounts file to have both computers point to the same one in a shared location.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:19 pm 

Randy K. wrote:
you can place the accounts.plist in the same folder on the other computer, or go to the CheckBook menu while running checkbook on the other machine, choose preferences, click on the advanced tab, and use the restore accounts button to bring data from the other computer to the new one.

OK we'll see. It doesn't seem to work yesterday when I tried it,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:27 pm 

Thanks, Randy! It worked!

However, I had to complete these additional steps to make this work:

1) Choose Preferences> Advanced

2) Change the Accounts File Location to point to the new CheckBook 2 location.

Now I have a question: Should I delete the old folders that I copied when I unsuccessfully tried to sync for the first time after my update to the new version? That is, should I delete these two folders (CheckBook 2 and Splasm) because they're no longer needed in the new file structure?

Home/Library/Application Support/CheckBook 2

Home/Library/Preferences/Splasm

Thanks again,
Sparta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:40 am 

Randy K. wrote:

OK. Now I am happier! :D . I put the .plist in a folder on DropBox and it works. I was impressed by the import on Checkook. Everything came in accurate. I'm not sore about the reconcile. I'll wait until next month to see if I can do it. It looks like some things didn't get checked as reconciled that should be. We'll see. I could be back complaining. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:20 pm 

geochapman wrote:
Randy K. wrote:

OK. Now I am happier! :D . I put the .plist in a folder on DropBox and it works. I was impressed by the import on Checkook. Everything came in accurate. I'm not sore about the reconcile. I'll wait until next month to see if I can do it. It looks like some things didn't get checked as reconciled that should be. We'll see. I could be back complaining. Thanks for the help.

The Dropbox solution works for me. It's so convenient to have the app on both computers and single data file that is accessible from both.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:15 pm 

Has anything changed since 2011 regarding the topic of syncing between multiple computers? I have Checkbook (not pro) and am wondering if I have this ability. Any updates or advice would be appreciated. I am not a computer guru, so laymen's terms as much as possible are appreciated. I have two Mac computers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:03 am 

Doesn't simply keeping the accounts file in iCloud solve that problem?
See Checkbook Help: iCloud
Quote:
Move your Accounts to iCloud Drive on OS X Yosemite and later

Make sure you're signed into iCloud. You can sign into iCloud by going to the Apple menu at the top left of your screen, clicking the System Preferences... item, clicking the iCloud preference pane icon and signing in at the left side of the window.
Make sure iCloud Drive is enabled in the iCloud preferences pane in System Preferences. You can enable iCloud Drive by going to the Apple menu at the top left of your screen, clicking the System Preferences... item, clicking the iCloud preference pane icon and putting a checkmark next to the iCloud Drive item.
Open your Accounts document in CheckBook Pro.
Go to the File menu at the top left of your screen and click the Move To... item. A sheet will appear at the top of the document window.
Click the menu button in the sheet, then click the iCloud Drive menu item.
Move your Accounts to iCloud on OS X Mountain Lion and OS X Mavericks

On OS X Mountain Lion and OS X Mavericks, iCloud is only available when CheckBook Pro is purchased from the Mac App Store.

Make sure you're signed into iCloud. You can sign into iCloud by going to the Apple menu at the top left of your screen, clicking the System Preferences... item, clicking the iCloud preference pane icon and signing in at the left side of the window.
Make sure Documents & Data is enabled in the iCloud preferences pane in System Preferences. You can enable Documents & Data by going to the Apple menu at the top left of your screen, clicking the System Preferences... item, clicking the iCloud preference pane icon and putting a checkmark next to the Documents & Data item.
Open your Accounts document in CheckBook Pro.
Go to the File menu at the top left of your screen and click the Move To... item. A sheet will appear at the top of the document window.
Click the menu button in the sheet, then click the iCloud menu item.
If you're using iCloud or other cloud storage and changes made on one Mac don't appear in CheckBook Pro on another Mac

Make sure both Macs can go to splasm.com.
On both Macs, make sure CheckBook Pro has the same document open. You can check the path to the document by Command-clicking or right-clicking the name of the document at the top of the window. For iCloud, the path will simply be "iCloud/Document Name". The path could be different for other cloud storage folders, but should usually end the same way, ie. "DropBox/Document Name" or "Google Drive/Document Name".
On both Macs, make sure iCloud or your cloud storage service is enabled.
On OS X Yosemite and later, check the status of the iCloud Drive service at http://www.apple.com/ support/systemstatus/. If it's not green, Apple will resolve the issue as soon as possible.
On OS X Mountain Lion and OS X Mavericks, check the status of the Documents in the Cloud service at http://www.apple.com/ support/systemstatus/. If it's not green, Apple will resolve the issue as soon as possible.
Restart both Macs.
If you see an error message, copy and paste the entire message in an email to support@splasm.com.