Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:18 pm 

Normally, I get cash back when I pay for groceries. In my current financial software (Moneydance), I have Cash set up as an account, because I like to keep track of every penny I spend. So, for groceries I have a split transaction that is usually split into three: Pet food, Cash, Groceries. In CheckBook Pro, I can't figure out how to split this transaction, since Cash would be considered a transfer, and it doesn't look like I can mix categories and account transfers in a single transaction. Do I need to reclassify my Cash account as a category? That would kind of defeat the purpose of expense tracking. By the way, I'm currently trying out CheckBook Pro and not sure if I will make the switch or not yet.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:35 pm 

When I do something like this I just enter another transaction. i.e. When I use debit card and want cash back I enter a debit into my Debit Card Account for the total amount [if I want to split the transaction, I enter the cash back as type "transfer" or "cash"]. Then I enter a separate credit transaction into my Petty Cash Account for the amount I got back. This may be more than you you want to do, but is quite easy. I always add a description or note in the Petty Cash credit to indicate where the money came from.

If you wanted to be sure to indicate that the cash was "transferred" from your debit card to your cash account, then still do two entries--one for the items purchased and a separate "Transfer To" transaction that is linked to your cash account. Either way, you have to do two entries. I've been doing it that way for years without any problems.

There may be other ways to do this, but this one works quite well for me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:39 pm 

Thank you. That sounds like it would work. I'll try it and see if it's not too much work each time. I have a scheduled transaction for my weekly groceries, so that would have to be two scheduled transactions. I'll try it tomorrow. I'm getting ready to to go bed now.

Again, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:06 pm 

:D :D :D :D :D