Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:52 pm 

I did notice today, after upgrading to El Capitan, that CheckBook 2.5.7 would quit unexpectedly after importing a .QIF file. After importing, all the data showed up, but I would move the cursor and click on another window on the desktop, and CheckBook would quit, with an error report window a second later. This was happening repeatedly, I would need to reopen and reimport the .QIF each time. I disabled password protection on the file, but that didn't help. An error report was sent to Apple. I didn't do any other actions in CheckBook, just opened and imported the data. The .QIF was downloaded from Chase Bank's online site, if that helps.

Bizarrely, after doing this four times, I reopened CheckBook, the imported data was there, and it hasn't quit (yet).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:38 pm 

I have encountered a similar problem as the one Tom M. noted. I import a QFX file from my bank into Checkbook Pro. Everything works great until I drag the imported file from my desktop into the trash. When I do this, Checkbook Pro
quits and a report pops up saying "Checkbook Pro quit unexpectedly." The data in my check register is correct--only dragging the QFX file to the trash causes the quit message.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hello everyone!

CheckBook and CheckBook Pro 2.5.7 can crash after importing a bank statement, so we've got a fix for you. 2.5.8 Beta 2 is now available at http://www.splasmata.com/?p=2952 and includes all the little fixes we've been working on since the end of July. If you have the issue with importing statements and give this build a go, please let us know how it works for you. Thanks!

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:37 am 

Keith, the beta build worked fine for me. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:18 am 
Administrator
Administrator

timberguy wrote:
Keith, the beta build worked fine for me. Thanks for the help.

Awesome! I'm glad it helped out there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:32 pm 

Keith,

I was able to download the beta and install it successfully - and it fixed everything you said it would (yay!). I had already purchased Checkbook Pro from Apple's App Store. When I launch the beta, it's asking me to enter a serial number. When I looked on the page that you linked, there was a link to follow to get a single-use serial number. However, when I follow the link, I couldn't see a way to get that single-use serial number.

I'm currently using Checkbook Pro without a serial number. Are there going to be any limitations that I should watch for? (I will update the app from the App Store when I see a new version is posted.)

Thanks!
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:30 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Cait!

The Mac App Store version of CheckBook Pro has been updated to the final 2.5.8 so you'll want to visit the Mac App Store, click the Purchased button at the top of the window, and click the Install or Update button next to CheckBook Pro. After the update, it shouldn't ask for a serial number like the beta...

...but if you're asked for one anyway, that means the version that's running isn't the update from the Mac App Store. That happens when two or more copies are on the same Mac, because the Mac App Store updates the first one it finds, which could be anywhere. In that case, you'll want to do a Spotlight search to find all the copies of "CheckBook Pro.app" on your Mac, move them all to the Trash, then revisit the Mac App Store's Purchased section to install a fresh copy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:55 am 

Problem fixed!

I never got prompted to update my copy of Checkbook Pro via the Mac App store. I deleted the Checkbook Pro app in my Applications folder (that I had downloaded from your website, using the information upthread) and reinstalled via the Mac App store. I'm now able to import QIF files without unexpected quits. No data lost, everything is hunky-dory :)

Thanks, keithg!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We're glad to hear you're all set, Cait!

http://www.splasm.com