Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:03 pm 

Just getting around to running reports against my accounts for taxes and realized that all my credit card transactions (charges on my card) show in the account listing and reports as DEPOSITS! How did this happen.

I went back to double check that information was exported from my bank correctly. All seems correct.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is this a bug or have I done something wrong.

Chet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:15 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Some credit providers will actually list charge transactions as positive values despite those items signifying money-spent from the cardholder's perspective. If you're using CSV or Text format, the best thing to do to deal with that is to use the 'Negative Amount' selection for the Amount column in the Import Options to bring everything in as negatives—this would still require that payment Deposits be manually entered, though, as those will come in negative as well, but there should be fewer of those.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:58 pm 

Ok, it was the export form my bank that was bad... but now I have 4 month of data in my checkbook that has all deposits and debits reversed. Is there any way to edit the data files to fix this. I don't seem to see how to change a debit into a deposit or a deposit into a debit in the checkbook.

Thanks,

Chet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

It's rather good news to hear that you figured out that the value reversal was all in the statement files. However, the bad news is that CheckBook isn't currently capable of switching things back post-import. Perhaps you could open your OFX in TextEdit, a free text editor on the Mac, and then locate the transaction Amount field marker (usually, something like "<TRNAMT>") to alter the values you see following that marker. With the Find-and-Replace option, you could even quickly change all negatives to positive but then the minuses would have to be added-in manually for any amounts that should actually be negative—for this, Find "<TRNAMT>-" (or whatever the marker is followed by a minus) and Replace that with just "<TRNAMT>".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:58 pm 

Allan, thank you.

Now that the bank has fixed the problem, if I import the 4 months of data again, would the data merge or overlay? It would be good if I ended up with 2 entries for each transaction so I could capture the changes like categories, taxable and such.

Thanks,

Chet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Chet,

That's great that the bank fixed the issue!

With OFX imports, if duplicates are recognized, they'll just be unchecked in the Import preview. So, if you want to bring in any items that are seen as duplicates, it's possible to hit the 'Import All' button at the top before importing to ensure everything is imported.