Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: [RESOLVED] File Location
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:49 am 

Hello, This may have already been answered but I have a question as to where the Checkbook Pro default account information is stored. I believe the filename is Accounts.cbaccounts. The reason I am asking is because I use an external drive as the backup location and when I exit the program, I notice that the access light on the external drive flashes. The Accounts.cbaccounts file on the external drive shows that it had been touched in Finder at the time I exited the software. So, even though I didn't backup the account information, the backup file is being updated regardless. It's possible that the CBP software is using my backup location as the primary file location. I'm not sure. But this is not what I want. I would like to check and determine that my backup file is actually the backup file. It would be ok with me if the backup file was updated automatically when exiting CBP but I'm not sure if this is what's actually happening.

Thanks,
Tony

Post subject: Re: File Location
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:24 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Yep, that sounds like the main file was added to your external drive because there's no automatic Backup option that provides a custom location—the save location for a document file is chosen by the user during the creation of a new document and backing-up is done manually using the Backup option under the File menu at the top of the screen. In that case, you'll definitely want to change the location since you'd only ever be able to access your data while the drive is plugged in. So, to move your document, choose 'Move To...' from CheckBook Pro's File menu.

Now, if you'd have updated to the recent version from a pre-2.5 copy of the application and bypassed the use of a custom save location during the format upgrade process, there would've been a default save location selected at Users/[your User name]/Library/Containers/com.splasm.checkbookpro2/Data/Library/Application Support/Splasm Software, Inc./CheckBook 2 when running Lion or Mountain Lion or simply at Users/[your User name]/Library/Application Support/Splasm Software, Inc./CheckBook 2 otherwise. Just so you know, these locations are also where the weekly automatic Backups created by the application get saved.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:07 am 

Hello again. Well, I attempted to move my CBP account over to the default location that you specified. However, I ran into a problem when I tried to select the file location in the Move popup sheet. I can click my way into Users/My_Username/, but the /Library directory does not show up in the popup sheet. I'm guessing that this directory is hidden and I am unable to access it. Unfortunately, the sheet will not allow me to enter the path directly. Is it possible to just reinstall the CBP software and have it place the account information in the default location?

Thanks again,
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:51 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Unfortunately, reinstalling won't put your document file back in the hidden default save location. We actually recommend saving data to your Documents folder, since the new format is document-based. Perhaps try that.

To get into your hidden User Library within the Move To window, you can hold down the Shift and Command keys then hit the letter G. Next, in the Go-to-folder sheet that appears type in ~/Library and hit Go. Then, you can navigate through these remaining folders: Containers/com.splasm.checkbookpro2/Data/Library/Application Support/Splasm Software, Inc./CheckBook 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:45 pm 

I attempted to move the file according to your instructions but when I tried to Move the file, I got this popup: "Accounts.cbaccounts" couldn't be moved because you don't have permission to access "Checkbook 2".

To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and choose File>Get Info.

I did check some of the folders and they showed that the User (Me) has read and write privilege. So now I'm really befuddled.

Thanks,
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:25 pm 

Being that I couldn't move the file to the default location, I tried moving the file to the Documents folder as you suggested. However, I got the same result. It wouldn't allow me to move the file to the Documents folder because it said that I don't have permission to access Documents. This can't be true because I have numerous other files stored in Documents. Not sure what's going on here.

Tony

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We can definitely help out but we'll need to gather additional information. Specifically, seeing the entire error message you're getting could be key for us understanding exactly what's going on. Would you be willing to get a screenshot of the error after you to try to Move your document again? To take a screenshot, hold down Shift and Command and hit the number 3 key. The resulting shot can be attached to another forum post or sent to us at support@splasm.com .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:05 pm 

OK. Here is a screenshot of the error message that I received:

Thanks,
Tony

Attachments:
Untitled.tiff
Untitled.tiff [ 43.76 KiB | Viewed 19591 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:48 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Just a follow-up for anyone else who's having a similar issue...

We worked with Tony through email support and found that his current save location needed Read & Write Permissions in order to get his document moved to a new location.