Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:56 am 

OK, been ignoring the update for some time now just done it, running 10.7 and the files have been moved for sandboxing I understand that.

When doing the update I ignored the option to move the data file.

1. Can I make it ask me again as I like to backup my files myself and it's now a pain to navigate into the folders to get at it.

2. I have used this for years and in my "Check Book 2" Folder I have (Accounts.plist / Backups / Accounts / CheckBook 2 Prefs ) so is everything I need just in the "Accounts" file that has a CB on the icon, does that have all my setting and password info. Do I need to keep the other files in that folder?

3. Would the best idea for me to open up and ask CheckBook to do a backup, then locate that file into my docs folder and re open checkbook and ask it to open that file from my docs folder?

4. Again where are the preffs located are they in that CB file that the backup option spits out?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

1. The new Document file that holds your information can be moved anywhere anytime using the 'Move To...' option accessible under the File menu at the top of the screen. You could even drag the file from the default folder to anywhere and the application will still be able to access it.

Also, with Backing-up, using the Backup option, a new save location can be chosen each time for those. As for the automatic Backups (in the CheckBook 2/Backups folder), those will continue save to the default Backups folder because, due to Sandboxing, that's the only location that the application has permission to automatically save things.

2. Concerning the files in the CheckBook 2 folder, those are handy to keep around. The Accounts.plist is your old data file from before switching to the new .cbaccounts format (you could live without out that, but it can serve as a useful backup). Basically all of your data, passwords, and settings are in the main Accounts file, but some basic prefs like font size/color and window size adjustments are still being stored in the separate Preferences so definitely keep that. Again, the Backups folder holds your automatic Backups, which you may need to restore from later.

3. Ideally, you'd save your Backup files but still maintain your main file. Then, only if you need to, you can bring up a Backup.

4. Backups are exact duplicates of your Accounts document. So, anything mentioned above that goes in the main file will be saved to a Backup, like the basic Account settings and passwords plus all of your data.

http://www.splasm.com