Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:25 pm 

I know that in Preferences one can choose, when Adding Entries, to use the Last Date Entered or Today's Date. The latter is awkward if I have a lot of old expenses to enter, and when using Last Date Entered the calendar seems to be stuck on a day in February every time I start up CBP. Is there any way to get CBP to at least remember the date of the last entry? Alternatively, how about a button in the calendar window that would take us to today's date?

BTW - I'm running CBP under Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:24 pm 

BruceK wrote:
Is there any way to get CBP to at least remember the date of the last entry? Alternatively, how about a button in the calendar window that would take us to today's date?

To my knowledge there is no such way to get CBP to do this. It'd be nice to have this, as I find myself in the same boat much of the time, waiting a week or more to add transactions. The little dot between the month arrows in the little calendar is supposed to take us to the current day, but I've never had any luck with this happening. Lots of apps use this little calendar and non of them take me to the current date by clicking that button. It could be that the button is cosmetic, because I've never seen it do anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:01 pm 

The more I think on this, and the more I use CBP to enter old expenses, I would like to see the date handling changed in some form.

As I stated, for some reason if I put CBP into Set Date to Last Entered mode, every time I start CBP it thinks it's Feb. 4th, 2013. I prefer to use CBP in this mode as it makes it easier to catch up on expense entries.

It would be nice if CBP would default to the current date on start-up, or at least to the date you last used for an entry before closing out the app.

Just my two cents...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

With the 'Set Date to Last Entered' Preference selected, the application should bring up the last-used date for new Entry input after reopening. We've recently come across certain situations that can throw things off there, though (we're hoping to get that taken care of in a future update). For instance, with Split Entry lines that get expanded in the register, the application will look at those as the most recently modified and store the date of the Split item as the last entered. And, since closing the application closes splits and reopening the application expands them again if needed, that's where a particular old date might get stuck with each launch. Do you have an Entry from February 4th with Splits that is presently expanded? If so, try closing up the Splits on that item by hitting the little triangle to the left of the Entry listing, add a test Entry with a new date, and see whether the test Entry date shows up when you reopen.

Also, @prider: the dot between the month arrows in the Calendar can be clicked on to take you back to the currently selected date on the Calendar. So, it's useful if you select a date and move on to another month and then want to jump back. We could maybe look into adding a button that alternately takes you back to the current date, though.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:53 pm 

Allan W. wrote:
Also, @prider: the dot between the month arrows in the Calendar can be clicked on to take you back to the currently selected date on the Calendar. So, it's useful if you select a date and move on to another month and then want to jump back. We could maybe look into adding a button that alternately takes you back to the current date, though.

Weird thing, though, Allan: I've never been able to get this "dot" to work. No matter the application I am in. Must be something wrong with my laptop, but it has never worked for me! Very curious, indeed.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:25 pm 

Allan W. wrote:
With the 'Set Date to Last Entered' Preference selected, the application should bring up the last-used date for new Entry input after reopening.
Do you have an Entry from February 4th with Splits that is presently expanded?

Nope. Just entering "normal", single entry data, no matter what I do when I restart CBP the date always resets to Feb 4. At least it's the current year (so far :-) ).

And I too don't notice that clicking on the little dot between the arrows does anything useful.

FYI - This is under OS X 10.6.8 running CBP V2.5.2.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:14 am 

Fixed in V2.5.3. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:43 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

You're welcome!

http://www.splasm.com